Chapter Twelve

Sang

Sang

I clenched my fists so tightly they shook at my sides. I despised that Gideon had to prove himself to these dragons during some initiation act. If he got seriously hurt because of them, I didn't know what I'd do. Most likely retaliate, but there wasn't much damage someone like me could do when facing eight dragons and their eight riders.

That certainly wouldn't stop me from trying, though.

After the enraged shriek pierced my ears, I shoved my own mind into Gideon's for the first time. I needed to see what was going on up there. He had sent me mental pictures himself, but I never did it against his will.

The feeling was unlike anything I'd ever felt. It was like I was half asleep and was teetering on the edge of consciousness, floating aimlessly into his. I was fully aware of my own body and surroundings, but I was also stuck in a dream like state—except it felt entirely too real to be a dream. His thoughts slithered into my own until our minds fused together and became one. Turn left, dip down—.

A blaze of fire skimmed Gideon's right flank and I felt his fury rising up with my own. He flew over the top of the clouds, his knife-like talons barely skimming over the fluffy white surface until he did a nose-dive straight down the center and tumbled through a flip, ending up directly behind Rivka.

The female dragon let out another screech as fire erupted from Gideon's gaping maw, catching her tail. His chest puffed in arrogance at her pain filled yelp. He was the last born Tenebrous, he wasn't capablehe was all-powerful. Once he grew to full size, he'd be unstoppable, unforgiving—.

He crashed into her from behind and North made a feral sound deep in his throat. My hands clenched tighter as the two began falling toward the ground, both clawing and fighting for the other to submit. At last, Gideon's teeth clamped over her throat as they rapidly descended. When Rivka didn't make a move to retaliate, we knew.

She submitted.

So he let go and gracefully folded out his wings and sloped toward the ground. When his talons finally pressed into the grass, I pulled out from his vision and fully returned to mine. Other than North's heavy breathing, the area was silent. 

I let out a low whistle when North turned his glower on me. Man, was he pissed. But so was I. That was why I met his glare head on with not one ounce of fear or guilt. His dragon deserved every bit of what Gideon gave her.

When I didn't relent, North stormed off to Rivka and began fussing over the little amount of injuries she attained.

My attention moved to Gideon and I saw multiple slash marks leaking blood, covering the areas  of his body that weren't protected by scales. According to his feelings filtering through the bond, he wasn't in any amount of pain, just tired.

"I think that's enough for now,"  I said through the bond as I led a wary eye over Saxon—Owen's dragon. It sounded like a good idea to me, but based off of his answering snarl, I would say he was anything but agreeing. I didn't know how much more I could take before I flew into protective mode. His calmness was the only thing keeping me sane.