Scene 2 & 3 Lachie, Hamish and dead fish

Sc. 2 EXTERNAL - FARMYARD - LATE AFTERNOON 

A tall, powerfully built man, John (45), is supervising Hamish (14) and Lachlan (12) gutting and scaling fish at a trough by the back door. Both Hamish and John wear similar hand-made sweaters to Deirdre while Lachlan is as ridiculously over-dressed as Brigid. 

Brigid and Deirdre emerge from the woods and cross the yard to them. Deirdre glances at their bucket full of river salmon. 

DEIRDRE: You've done well! 

Hamish gives them a disinterested nod. John pauses in his task and leans down to kiss Deirdre. 

JOHN: Lachlan caught the biggest one. 

DEIRDRE: Really? 

JOHN: Aye. He's a natural. 

Lachlan beams. Hamish rolls his eyes at Brigid but her eyes are horror-locked on the half-gutted fish in the boys' bloody hands. Hamish smirks at her distaste. 

DEIRDRE: Brigid gave our gift to the Shadowkeeper today. 

JOHN: We're safe in our beds tonight, then? 

BRIGID: Huh? Oh... yes. 

JOHN: Here, let me take that inside for you. Careful with those knives, boys. 

John takes the jug from her, Hamish nods and the adults disappear into the house. Brigid grimaces as the boys continue the gruesome task. She fiddles nervously with a worn, silver pendant at her throat. 

BRIGID: I think I'll go see if I can find Mom. She might need help with her easel. 

HAMISH: Why don't you help us? It's your supper, too. 

BRIGID: Oh. Um, no. I- 

HAMISH: It's easy. Here, just take this one. 

With a sly glance at Lachlan, Hamish pretends to lose his grip, juggling the fish between his hands and sending it flying into Brigid's face. 

BRIGID: Ew! Yuck! 

The fish flops heavily in the dirt. Hamish laughs heartily and Lachlan joins in uncertainly. 

BRIGID: You did that on purpose! 

Brigid spits and wipes at her mouth and finds blood on her hand. Lachlan's laugh dies at the sight of her distress and he goes to his sister's side. 

LACHLAN: You okay? 

HAMISH: She's fine. It's just fish blood. 

BRIGID: Ew! It still stings! 

Lachlan ignores Hamish and puts an arm around his sister's shoulders. 

LACHLAN: Come on. 

They head inside. Hamish continues deftly filleting the fish.

Sc. 3 INTERNAL - KITCHEN - FARMHOUSE - NIGHT 

A well-worn, country kitchen. Taking up most of the center of the room is a large table, its wood polished with use. 

Brigid, Hamish and John are seated at the table, serving themselves from dishes of vegetables. Lachlan is slouched in his chair, sucking his index finger and looking at a blood-sugar meter, a strip of test paper sticking out the side. 

Deirdre is standing at the stove, pan-frying fillets of salmon. 

Julia (late-30s) emerges from a walk-in pantry holding three lemons. She is even more striking than her sister, despite the dark-rings under her eyes. She jumps as the pantry's screen-door slams behind her. 

LACHLAN: Blood-sugar's good, Mom. 

JULIA: Okay- Oh, Lachie, don't suck it. 

Lachlan rolls his eyes and gets up to wash his finger at the sink. Julia takes the opportunity to glance at the blood sugar meter as she passes on her way to take her seat. She is busily cutting the lemons into wedges when Lachlan returns. 

Deirdre turns from the stove with a big pan of fried salmon fillets and begins to serve some to Brigid. 

BRIGID: No thanks. 

DEIRDRE: Sorry? 

Julia stops mid-slice and sets her jaw as she watches her daughter and sister. 

BRIGID: Thank you but I'm a vegetarian.  

DEIRDRE: I'm sorry, I had no idea! I don't have anything for you. John, did you know? 

JOHN: No. 

JULIA: She's not a vegetarian, just give her the fish. 

Brigid puts her hands over her plate. 

BRIGID: No! Thank you Auntie Dee but I don't want it on my plate. 

JULIA: Brigid, please! Just behave for ONE day. 

BRIGID: I am behaving! I just don't want to eat anything DEAD! 

JULIA: Everything's DEAD Brigid! Even carrots are DEAD once you pick them! 

BRIGID: Then I'm not eating the carrots either! 

JOHN: Alright, now, let's all just calm down. Brigid, if you don't eat the fish, you have to eat all your vegetables because there's nothing else for you. Do you understand? 

Brigid nods, reaching for her pendant. 

JOHN: You and your Mom can talk about the vegetarian thing later. 

Deirdre moves on to serve the rest of the table. Julia holds her tongue. Brigid avoids looking at her mother and, across from her, Hamish makes a show of gobbling his fish. 

JOHN: Hamish... 

Hamish minds his manners as Deirdre puts the pan back on the stove and joins the hushed table. 

DEIRDRE: So, kids, what do you want to do with yourselves tomorrow? 

HAMISH: Fishing. 

Hamish grins. John snaps. 

JOHN: Hamish! 

Brigid and Hamish glare at each other over their meals.