Scene 4 Brigid gets a visit

Sc. 4 INTERNAL - BRIGID & LACHLAN'S BEDROOM - FARMHOUSE - NIGHT 

On either side of the door is a lofted bed with a desk and empty clothes storage underneath. On each desk, a suitcase lies messily open. 

Lachlan, dressed for bed, sits on his bunk with his backpack. 

Brigid, also ready for bed, enters the room and drops a small toiletries bag on top of her clothes before climbing up to her bunk. 

LACHLAN: You okay? 

Brigid nods but fiddles with her pendant as she peels back her covers and slips her legs under them. 

LACHLAN: Got something to show you. 

Lachlan's voice is carefully gentle and Brigid does not bridle. 

BRIGID: What? 

With one eye on the half-open door, he pulls out a slim, metallic box, which seems heavy for its size. He smiles fondly at Brigid as she frowns, confused. With a flourish, Lachlan flips open a lid to reveal a small LCD screen. 

BRIGID: A DVD! 

LACHLAN: Ssh! 

BRIGID: Where'd you get it? 

LACHLAN: Granny Taylor. I told her there was no internet up here. 

BRIGID: Mom won't like that. 

LACHLAN: That's why it's a secret. 

BRIGID: What if she finds it? 

LACHLAN: She can't say anything. Dad might be dead but she's still our Granny. 

BRIGID: Lachie! 

LACHLAN: Well he IS dead. 

Brigid grasps her pendant hard. 

BRIGID: Shut up Lachie. 

Brigid burrows into her bed, her back to Lachlan. 

LACHLAN: Don't you want to watch a DVD? 

Brigid pulls the covers over her head. Lachlan sighs and watches her for a moment, listening to her muffled sniffling. 

LACHLAN: Bridge?

No response. He gives up and leans out of his bunk and reaches down to flip the light-switch. 

Moonlight filters into the room as Lachlan hunkers down under the covers. Gradually, the room falls silent but for the deep-sleep breathing of the children and the gentle sigh of a sheer curtain at the open window. 

A mist wafts in through the window. 

Rather than dissipating as it enters the warmer room, it forms into a long, shimmering tendril. The tendril snakes curiously around the room searching out and examining the kids' belongings. It crawls along the floor and snakes up the ladder to Brigid's bunk. 

The mist hovers over the sleeping girl and becomes the ghostly, glimmering form of a HAG. She peers curiously at Brigid's face. 

Brigid wakes in fright and, in that instant, the hag turns to mist again and recoils, whip-like back out the window. Brigid pulls the quilt up to her chin, shivering. 

BRIGID (hissing): Lachie? Lachie! 

Brigid peers at where Lachlan should be.

BRIGID: Lachie, I think there's someone in here! 

As her eyes adjust to the darkness, the gray and black lumps become Lachlan's empty bed. Brigid risks looking around and sees the curtain flapping. She sighs relief, then, taking a ragged breath, throws off her covers and climbs down from her bed. 

She glances again at Lachlan's empty bed then walks quietly out the door.