Scene 31 The Fortress of the Hunt

Sc. 31 EXT - STABLE YARD- FORTRESS OF THE HUNT- DAY 

Brigid tumbles through the other side of the wall. She lands precariously on a sloping, thatched roof. 

A cacophony of sound and motion greets her: voices raised in a flurry of last-minute preparation; the hollow clop of several dozen horses in the yard; the jangle of saddlery and tack being fitted and checked; 

Brigid is standing on the roof of horse-stalls which line the entire inside of the walls as far as she can see in either direction. A long, low building sits in the center of the fortress, smoke rising from two points at each end of its thatched roof. 

All the creatures, human and animal, are like Brigid, glittering Shadows. 

One man walks calmly amid the chaos, clearly in control. At seven feet tall, WAYLAN is almost as tall as the lower edge of Brigid's roof and is powerfully built, with the fire-tan of a smith. 

Sensing something is out of place in his domain, Waylan turns and looks up, directly at Brigid standing. His rugged, serious face breaks into a curious, warm smile. He crosses the large courtyard in only a few strides and calls up to Brigid. 

WAYLAN: Hello. Who are you? 

BRIGID: Um, do you just want my name or do I have to declare my quest again? 

Waylan chuckles fondly. 

WAYLAN: Just your name will do. 

Brigid is instantly reassured and can't help but smile back at him. 

BRIGID: Brigid Taylor. 

WAYLAN: Hello Brigid, I'm Waylan. 

BRIGID: Are you the Lord of the Hunt? 

WAYLAN: No. Are you looking for him? 

Brigid nods. 

BRIGID: The Blackbird at the Gateway sent me. 

WAYLAN: Really? 

Waylan studies her critically for a moment. 

WAYLAN: Well, it's not my place to question the wisdom of the Gatekeeper. Come, I'll help you down. 

Brigid walks carefully down the sloping roof and lowers herself over the edge into Waylan's waiting hands. Waylan sets her on the ground and notices her light-leaking hands and feet. 

WAYLAN: You're injured. 

BRIGID: The hedge had thorns. 

Brigid shrugs and shakes her hands. More tiny points of light detach and float up into the air. Waylan slaps his hands around hers. 

WAYLAN: Stop! That's your life-force you're shaking away! 

Brigid snaps her gaze to Waylan, startled. 

BRIGID: What? 

WAYLAN: As Shadows, we are pure life-force. We ARE that which makes us WHO we are. If you want to remain Brigid Taylor and return to your body, you must be as careful walking the Shadow Realm as the living world. Do you understand? 

Brigid nods vigorously. 

WAYLAN: Come now, lets get you patched up and ready for the hunt. 

Brigid grimaces at the word but follows him across the yard.