Scene 32 Waylan's Smithy

Sc. 32 INT - WAYLAN'S SMITHY - FORTRESS OF THE HUNT - DAY 

The smithy is lit only by the sunlight from the stable yard and the red coals of his forge. 

In easy reach of the forge and anvil, various tools with worn, silver handles hang from the rafters. Along one wall there is a high bench with other, surprisingly delicate, tools also with silver handles, on it and a large stool under it. 

From a tall basket by the bench, dozens of arrows sprout like long stemmed roses in a vase, their silver fletchings pink in the firelight. Hanging from the rafters above the bench are many hunting bows, ornately decorated, inlaid with silver. 

Brigid is standing by the bench, her hands and feet carefully bound with silvery wrapping. Waylan is balancing a silver bow on its end, measuring it against Brigid's height. 

WAYLAN: Still too big. 

He turns and hangs the bow back on the rack and continues searching the rafters for a smaller one. 

BRIGID: Isn't there any other way to get an audience with The Lord of the Hunt? 

WAYLAN: Nope. 

BRIGID: But I'm a vegetarian. 

Waylan lifts a smaller bow down and holds it up next to Brigid. 

WAYLAN: You won't be asked to eat the Stag. There, that will have to do. 

BRIGID: A Stag? 

Brigid looks desperate and Waylan takes pity on her. He squats down to look her in the eye. 

WAYLAN: This is no ordinary hunt, Brigid. A single Stag is sacrificed so that those in the living world whose time has come may be freed of from their sick and aging bodies and the Lord of the Hunt may send their Shadows to the Afterworld. 

BRIGID: What happens if the stag gets away? 

WAYLAN: The Lord of the Hunt will not appear, the dying will be trapped for another day in their bodies and their loved ones will continue to suffer needlessly. That is why only Champions ride this hunt - it must be successful. 

Brigid nods reluctantly. 

WAYLAN: Now, I assume you're not an archer? 

Brigid shakes her head. Waylan hands the bow to her then takes one of the arrows from it. 

WAYLAN: Take it. 

Brigid reaches for the wooden shaft of the arrow and her hand goes through it. She frowns, frustrated. 

BRIGID: How come you can touch it? 

WAYLAN: Silver exists fully in all realms. You have to hold it by the silver end, like this. 

Waylan takes back the bow and demonstrates as he explains, 

WAYLAN: If you take it by the silver end, the silver will move the wood. So you nock it like this. 

Brigid nods and takes the weapon from him, giving the bow a tug. 

BRIGID: Why not just make the whole arrow silver? 

WAYLAN: It's only the body we want to kill, a silver arrow would damage the Stag's Shadow as well. 

Waylan turns her so that the arrow is pointing at the opposite wall. 

WAYLAN: Come on, give it a try. 

Brigid tugs on the bowstring and lets it go. The arrow snaps out and the bowstring slaps Brigid's fingers. 

BRIGID: Ow! 

The scratch glistens. 

WAYLAN: Careful. 

Waylan gives her a moment to think before asking: 

WAYLAN: Can you ride? 

Brigid steels herself and looks Waylan in the eye. 

BRIGID: I can try. 

WAYLAN: A true Champion's answer. Come.