Broken Promises

AN: Thanks to JDUBZ for being my advisor and editor/critic. He was a lot of help when it came to choosing some word choices. (so if it's terrible blame him not me) Anyway! Lets get to it shall we?

Chapter 5: Broken Promises

Rem was happily seated in the back of a dragon carriage with Subaru. Although, Subaru wasn't excited at all. In fact he was terrified, unknowing of what was to wait for him when they arrive in Lugunica. The trip to Lugunica would take two days and they were prepared; first by taking measures to leave on a Thursday arrive on Saturday and stay the weekend and leave on Monday. To do this they contacted their bosses and asked for leave and were granted it easily. Well, it took some persuasion for Subaru's boss but it all worked out in the end.

Now here they were on the road to visit the Roswaal Mansion two days away from Subaru's worst nightmare. Two days. Maybe he can think of a way to tell Rem, but he was too cowardly to do it. Every time he thinks of just breaking it to her he always think of her crying, running away from him. That was something that would break his heart and destroy him. It was inevitable, the cold hard truth of what had to be done was clear as day; Rem had to see for herself.

Subaru would accept whatever punishment Rem had to give to him when she finds out, but that didn't mean he would look forward to it. He savored every moment he had left with Rem. When Rem slept he would stroke her hair, silently asking her to forgive him when the time came. Rem never heard those words.

By the time they actually entered the Lugunica border it would only take 5 more hours until they arrived to the Roswaal Mansion. Subaru was starting to feel restless, split between spending time thinking about Rem's smile or what he'll do when they arrived. He didn't show it though, Subaru kept a calm composer. Agreeing with Rem when she got excited the closer they got to the mansion.

2 more hours

"We're almost there, Subaru-kun!" Rem was on her knees on top of her seat bouncing up and down in excitement and looking out of a flap on the side in the carriage's tarp. "I can see the main city's time tower."

The city was a marker. Once they enter city limits it would take ten minutes to reach the village and then 5 more minutes to reach the mansion.

Subaru didn't say anything and Rem, in her excitement, didn't notice.

10 minutes til city limits.

Subaru was still calm, unsure at just how much longer he could fake it. Rem was still looking outside, still bouncing. Still happy.

They had finally entered the city limits and Subaru was taking deep breaths trying to control his heartbeat. Subaru looked outside to take in some fresh air.

Everything in the city was normal. Demihumans and humans were bustling around, merchants were selling their product, everything was in its place. Subaru even saw the one merchant that he met when he first was transported to this world, the one he dubbed as Mr. SavePoint Guy. The city's normal appearance gave Subaru a false sense of hope that the mansion and villagers were OK too.

All his hopes were crushed when they reached the village. Burned buildings and ashes, that was all that remained of the village. Burnt, curved swords littered the ground. Subaru knew that they belonged to the Witch's Cult, he had seen them up close one too many times. Scattered among the ashes and rubble were long objects that looked foreign to Subaru. With horror Subaru realized that they were bones. Subaru never had time to take in more of the scene, he had enough. Subaru retreated back into the carriage after poking his head out.

Rem was speechless. Her eyes were filled with horror and familiarity. She was reminded of what happend to her own home town. She couldn't forget the massacre, the fire, and the fact that Ram's horn was removed.