Chapter Thirty Four

----------------------

Dedication: TannerBroadstone for creating a playlist for this story! Thank you!

Recap:

I stood there, breathless, my knees wobbling together as I heard the front door closed.

I felt my eyes screw shut as I clutched my shirt in my hand, my chest aching.

This was it. Hayden was going to find out.

We were done.

---------------------

Playlist for this story:

After Hayden ignored my call for the third time, I draw the conclusion that he knows.

Panic flares through my chest and courses through my veins. I feel nauseous at the thought of Hayden never wanting to talk to me again.

With trembling fingers, I dial Harvey's number.

"Hello?" he answers in a cheerful voice.

"I think he knows."

"You might need to be more specific."

"I think Hayden knows. I pushed Mia last night. I think she sent him the photos. He's not answering my call," the words tumble from my mouth at an alarmingly quick rate as I begin to pace the floor of my kitchen. "What should I do? I don't even know how to explain, like, he might not want to even listen. Harvey, I can't lose him."

"Slow down for a second," he says calmly. His voice is soothing to me. I inhale a deep breath and exhale loudly, feeling slightly better. "Are you okay?"

"No. Maybe. I don't know."

"Why don't you go over to his place and see him. You're freaking out and overthinking things. You never know, he might be doing the same thing. The best way to deal with this is to go talk to him. Give yourself a chance to explain everything."

I mull over Harvey's words in my mind. They make a lot of sense, why didn't I think of that?

"You're kind of amazing."

"I know."

"You're a lifesaver."

"I also know that."

"Thank you," I tell him earnestly. "I don't know what I would do without you."

"Me either, honestly," he chuckles and I can see his friendly smile appearing in my mind. "Now calm yourself down before you go over there. Just be cool, yeah?"

"Cool, yes, I can do that."

"Good luck!"

When he hangs up and I focus on slowing down my breathing. I change my clothes into something a little nicer, before making my way towards Hayden's house.

As I get closer to his driveway, I notice there are a number of cars parked on the lawn and down the street. There's a murmur of music coming from the backyard.

I go to the front door and press my ear to it. The music is definitely coming from inside. I knock and step back, waiting. After a few moments pass, I knock again. After waiting, looking like an idiot, I jiggle the handle.

Poking my head inside, I hear voices but none close. Slithering through the door, I wander through the house and out the back. I freeze when I see a series of people and children gathered in their backyard. Heather is sitting beside an elderly couple, speaking with them. Over the music, I can hear the children's laughter as they chase each other.