Why James Potter?

Why James Potter?

"If you're going to get him out of here, you'll need me."

Sirius stared at Severus with an expression of distaste. He didn't fancy needing Snivellus Snape for anything. In fact, he reckoned if it had been very near to anybody else whimpering there on the carpet he would've told Snape exactly where he could shove his help and blast the greasy-headed twatwaffle right into next Tuesday, but as it were, James let out a moan of pain and Lily's cracked voice said, "Severus... please."

Sirius grit his teeth.

Severus was still staring at Sirius with an expression of antagonistic amusement and Sirius withered and said, teeth still grit, "Will you help us?"

Severus raised his eyebrows in expectation. When Sirius didn't continue, he asked, "And what is the... magic... word?"

Sirius was seething.

Lily stared up from the floor, her hand still on James's chest, her eyes wide and moist. "Please," she repeated.

But Severus wanted Sirius to say it. He stared at Sirius and waited.

Sirius took a deep breath. "Please," he said, humiliated.

"Of course," Severus said, as though he'd never thought of doing anything else. He turned to James and Lily then and Sirius's face clouded over. Severus drew his wand from his sleeve, bit it between his teeth, and bent down, lifting James Potter up over his shoulder somewhat roughly, so that he held James's legs with his arms and James's torso leaned over Severus's shoulders.

"Ow no no nonoonoono!" cried James, and he began to sob and whimper, his voice cracking around the edges as he begged, "Nooo, please!"

"You're hurting him!" cried Lily, her eyes as full of tears as James's were, "Don't hurt him, please don't hurt --"

"Hurting him is not a part of the deal, you great ---" Sirius started in, but Severus cleared his throat to stop him, interrupting the anger coming from Sirius's tone.

Severus took his wand from his teeth and aimed, "Stupefy," he hissed and James went out cold, hanging limply from Severus's shoulder.

Lily covered her mouth with her hands.

"There," Severus said. "Now, aren't you going to go get your furry little boyfriend?" he added, nodding at Sirius.

Sirius hesitated. He did need to go get Remus. But then again, Snape could really do with some supervision -- clearly, he had no intention of actually being careful of James Potter. The thought of James coming to from his stupefy and feeling that pain again turned Sirius's stomach. But Lily would be with Severus, surely Lily wouldn't let Severus actually hurt James... right? Sirius looked to Lily.

"Go get Rey and Maryrose," Lily nodded, "I'll go with Sev."

Sirius antagonized a moment longer, then, before anything else could be said, he hurried out the door of the library.

Severus looked to Lily. "Sev?"

She glared at him. "Let's go."

They started for the corridor and Lily jabbed her head out first to see that the hall was clear before Severus came through with Lily behind. "If we're caught," Severus said, hoisting James again since he was starting to slip a little, "I've captured you and we're on our way to Karkaroff, got it?" he demanded.