Election Day, Part I

Today was the big day. Election Day.

It took a lot of things to get to this day. Blood. Sweat. And Tears. And a lot of it.

Lucille dressed in a navy blue pantsuit with a cream colored blouse. She flat ironed her hair and put on deep red lipstick. As she was putting the finishing touches on her makeup, her phone buzzed.

"Spent the night at home. See you at work."

Lucille scoffed. "Of course Oliver."

She went into the bedroom slipped on her shoes and grabbed her handbag and left.

------------------------------------------------

Lucille drove up to Jared's hotel to pick him up for Election Day festivities. She picked up breakfast at a local donut shop hoping she picked out something he'd like.

When she drove into the parking lot she saw Jared retreating from a parked car. She hurriedly pulled into a parking space further away from the hotel entrance.

She waited a few minutes, hoping she could go unnoticed. She shimmied down in her seat as the black sedan drove past her.

Jared didn't know anyone in Houston. Or so he said.

Lucille's heart was beating out of her chest. Was Jared playing her?

She snapped pictures of the car's license plate before it was completely out of the parking lot. When Jared had made his way back into the hotel she pulled in closer to the entrance.

After waiting several minutes, she entered like nothing was wrong. She pushed on the door of his room that was still cracked open.

"Jared, I'm here", her voice echoed throughout the room.

"I wasn't expecting you this early", he said through the cracked bathroom door. "I'll be out in a minute."

"Take your time", she responded.

She placed the two drinks on the kitchen counter along with the box of donuts.

Lucille peered around the corner of the kitchen making sure Jared was still in the bathoom. She stuck her hand into the small trashcan in the hotel room, fishing out an empty water bottle. She stuffed it into her purse under all her other junk and zipped it up.

Trying to act normal, she hurriedly pulled a donut from the box stuffing half of it into her mouth.

"Good morning", he greeted as he entered the kitchen. "Excited for today?", he asked.

Lucille nodded. "You have no idea how hard I've worked to get here", she said.

"I bet", he answered taking a donut from the box. "So what happens after the election?"

"Ideally I'll have the Communications Director position locked up by the time the transition is over but there are so many more qualified people so I would understand, obviously."

"Don't talk like that", Jared objected. "You are the reason Oliver Reed is about to be Governor Reed. You are qualified."

Lucille nodded her head and thanked him. She checked her watch. "We should get going."

------------------------------------------------

Today the ballroom of the campaign headquarters was set up for the election watch party as well as the celebratory banquet. People were hustling and bustling all day.

Lucille made sure to get Jared lost within it all. She managed to sneak off to her office, pulling Lex with her. She shut the door once they were both inside.