Chapter Two

I spent the rest of the school day in Mr. Batam's office, trying to reason with him, explain to him that I just happen to be at the wrong place at the wrong time, when next thing you know the school bell is going off indicating that school was now over. Mr. Batam of course makes me miss my stupid bus, so therefore I'm now stuck walking all the way home.

I'm making my way out of the schools parking lot, when I hear a car honk behind me but I don't think anything of it. I continue walking when I hear another honk for a second time, and there's now a white Toyota pulling upside me, rolling their windows down.

"Hailey!!"

"Madison? Hey. I didn't know you drove!"

"Yep," she smiles. "Do you live far? I can give you a ride home if you'd like?"

I shake my head, "it's fine, Madison, really, I don't mind walking."

"Oh please," she scoffs, leaning over the passenger seat and opens the door. "Get in, its pretty warm today. Plus, I need deets on what happen with Mr. Batam!"

I giggle softly and shake my head as I make my way into her car. Her cold a.c immediately hits me in the face as I'm buckling up, and it feels amazing.

I take her small little cute car in, it fits her really well. "Your cars so nice, Madison!" I finally tell her as she pulls out onto the main road.

"Thank you!" She replies, "it's not as nearly as fancy as the other kids cars, but she's my baby," she taps on her steering wheel.

"Pft, who needs fancy?" I exclaim. "As long as that bad boy gets me where I need to go, and has a working radio and a.c is fine by me!"

Madison chuckles at what I say, "you're funny, Hailey! Do you drive?"

"I do," I tell her. "I just got my license this summer so now I'm working on getting a car next."

"Do you want anything in particular?" She asks and I shrug my shoulders, directing her to make a left at the light.

"No, not really, but if I did I think I'd probably go towards like a small SUV. We were actually suppose to go car hunting before the school year started, but my dad tends to work a lot so there's hardly anytime."

"Wow, busy man. What does he do, if you don't mind me asking."

"You're gonna make a right then another right at that stop sign," Madison nods to my instructions and I try to mumble my dads job under my breath. "He's a detective.."

Madison turns to look at me so quick that I get whip lash just from watching her. "Holy shit! Like an actual real deal police detective? Like with a gun and badge and stuff?"

"Eyes on the road!!" I shout playfully at her, and she quickly turns back around.

"Your dads the fuzz, Hailey?" She continues to question.

I turn to look at her with a small smile on my face, "yep." I point out towards the window, "it's the third house on your right."

"Holy cow, Hailey, that's like so cool! At least I think so, that's pretty bad ass!"

I'm smile not really acknowledging what Madison thinks about my dad working in the police business. Sure, it was a pretty cool thing growing up and being able to tell all the other kids in grade school that my dad was a cop. I mean, what child didn't want there dad to be a police officer, a firefighter, a hero..

But ever since my dad got promoted to be a detective four years ago, I hardly ever got to see him. He was always out, always working on a case, and my older brother Caleb was away at school, so it really was just me in this big lonely house. Then again I never really did feel lonely because I would spend most of my time at Carmen's, I would even stay the night during the weekdays and we would go to school together, but now, now I really was alone.