Prologue

His decision was already made, but Judge Patrick Doyle continued to listen to the case before him. It was his job, after all. For twenty years, he'd sat on this bench, and he hated cases like this one. Stoically, the judge considered the young man behind the defense table. The boy didn't meet his stare. Instead, his head hung low while his leg twitched like a jackhammer trying to chip away at the marble floor.

Judge Doyle reviewed the case file. The boy's life had not been easy. He'd been raised by an overworked single mother on the South Side of Chicago after his father passed. The only bright spot in his life was a school principal who acted as a surrogate dad. Both supporters, the boy's short mother and the large administrator, sat in the front row wearing their Sunday best. The mother had been repeatedly threatened with removal for her outbursts. In contrast, the big man had not uttered a word during the entire trial. His calm presence had provided much-needed support for the fourteen-year-old boy accused of rape.

To draw the judge's attention back to the proceedings, the State's Attorney cleared his throat. Judge Doyle lifted his head and nodded for the skinny prosecutor to continue his speech.

"And therefore, your Honor, that is why the State believes you should find the defendant to be delinquent."

"Bullshit," the boy's mother whispered loud enough for the entire room to hear.

Judge Doyle banged his gavel down so hard that the water in his drinking glass sloshed out on his notes.

"This is your final warning. One more word from you, and I will find you in contempt. Am I understood?"

"Yes, your Honor," the mother replied sarcastically.

As the court recorder finished her transcription, she glanced at Judge Doyle and offered him the tiniest of smiles. Judge Doyle remained stoic. When it was apparent there would be no further outbursts, the defense attorney gave his young client a reassuring pat on the arm and stood up. He smoothed the creases of his department store suit and began his closing statement.

"Your Honor, I am appalled that the State has wasted your time today— not to mention my client's. I don't need to remind you that the facts, in this case, are overwhelmingly in favor of his innocence. The State brought forth no physical evidence to tie my client to the crime. Furthermore, I'd like to remind the court that my client has a solid alibi for the time in question. He was at home caring for his little sister, as observed by multiple witnesses."

The attorney moved to the center of the courtroom. "The only evidence the State has against my client is his confession. A confession that was obtained through an outright abuse of power. The interrogating officers questioned him for over ten hours without a lawyer or legal guardian present. They provided him key elements of the case and then claimed he was incriminating himself. They lied, manipulated, and controlled a minor who did not have the mental capacity to understand the severity of the situation."

Judge Doyle made a note on a dry spot on his legal pad. He did feel sorry for the boy. When he realized the room was waiting for his attention, he set down his pen and nodded for the defense to proceed while the boy squirmed in his chair, and his mother fumed behind him.

Continuing, the defense asked, "Your Honor, why didn't they sign it for him too, because it certainly wasn't his confession? They should be the ones going to prison, not my client. These despicable officers made a promise to this poor boy that if he would admit to the crime, he could get back home to care for his sister.

"That was a lie. A horrible lie. So please, your Honor, fix that mistake right now. My client is innocent— and the only reasonable verdict is to find Leroy Jones, Jr. not delinquent."