Chapter 3

Dedicated to Lilly4312

Scott's POV

I had called a search party. I had joined in, desperately looking for Silas's ex-mate. All under the blind eye of the Alpha. I felt bad, using my title to conduct the search and lying about Silas's approval but, if I didn't do this, the guilt would destroy me.

I had been there that night, and I knew what was happening inside that room. Yet I let Lewis enter, knowing full well what he'd see. Why? Was it because I wanted Silas to feel that pain? But, why did I have to bring Lewis into this? He had nothing to do with it. I had caused the rejection. I could have stopped Silas from making that brash decision. Now I want to fix it before the effects come back to bite me.

Being Silas's Beta, I've been with him since childhood. I'd seen first hand how excited he was to get a mate. He'd imagine it any chance he had. His wonderful, kind, gentle, female Luna ruling by his side.

He'd basically set himself up for devestation when Lewis ended up being his mate. And poor, sweet Lewis ended up being the disappointment for a broken dream. He had nothing to do with it. He was simply thrown into the middle of a crossfire without any sort of protection.

Mates, even rejected ones, can't be away from each other for very long. The effects will be terrible - both on the rejecter and the rejected. Silas seemed fine, but it was only a matter of time.

I sighed heavily, slumping over my desk. "That's quite the sigh," a voice called from the doorway. I shot up, acknowledging the Alpha. And Erika, apparently.

"Hello Alpha Silas... Erika." Silas growled slightly. "That's Luna Erika, to you."

"My apologies, I assumed I had the right to follow whoever I wanted to. Isn't that what you said? Believe in the leaders that inspire you? By that count, I could just greet you both without any sort of ranking because, at the moment, neither of you inspire me. Erika is never someone I'll look up to, and you're not doing so well yourself."

Just as I finished, Silas was on top of me, his hands wrapped tightly around my neck. I raised an eyebrow, unfazed. "Gonna choke me? For what? Speaking my mind? Refusing to bow down to your prostitute girlfriend? There's no way she's your rightful mate. And if you keep on, I might just tell your parents about that." The darkeness in his eyes faded and he released his grip on me, allowing me to breathe. I coughed for a moment, then resumed my stoic expression.

"You're lucky you're the Beta."

"Or what? You'd throw me out for having an opinion? Or, is it for being a guy?" As always, Silas preceeded to flip me off. It was a normal gesture, so I brushed it off. He shot me a warning glare, going back over to Erika and wrapping his arms around her waist.

I slumped down once more. This was going to be harder than I thought. I had to get them together. Not just for my guilty conscience anymore. But because I know Lewis is the perfect match for Silas. Even if the man himself couldn't see it.

---

Another day passed, as did another unsuccessful search. By now Silas had caught on, and I stood in his office.

"So, care to tell me what you're doing out in the woods?"

"Looking."

His eyebrows raised. "Looking... For what?"

"Lewis."

Silas visibly paled, and I knew the effects had started. Honestly, I'm surprised they hadn't started earlier. It had been close to two months now. I suppose his Alpha genes kept him safe for a longer period of time. Vomiting, dizziness, chest pain, weakness, they were all symptoms of mate loss. I relished the thought that Silas was in pain. It's his own fault. And partly mine. But at least I'm trying to fix it.

"... And why are you looking for something so unwanted?"

"Because whether you like it or not, you need him. The symptoms have started, haven't they?"

He turned away. "Regardless of my wolf, I have no need for him. I already have a Luna."

"You don't have to have him as a Luna. Just use him to get better." At this point, I was just trying to get him to accept Lewis in the pack. I'd work on getting them together later. He thought for a moment. "... Okay. Bring him back. But only so this pain will go away."