Nobody

With a shaky hand, Subaru put the metia up to his ear. He wasn't sure whose voice he was going to hear. Subaru spoke his next word in a calm voice.

"Hello?"

Whoever was on the other side of the metia only spewed out static. Among it there was what sounded like a distorted voice calling out to him, but it could've also have just been Subaru's imagination.

Subaru heard a, "Haahhfro."

"Hello!?" Subaru stupidly thought that if he raised his voice the metia would work. Subaru had a worried expression on his face. He was going to lose them. Even though it was just static there was no doubt that this call must have come from Kararagi. That's where the only other metias were located.

It had to be someone from Kararagi. It had to be. There no way it couldn't. Subaru held onto this like his life depended on it.

Subaru's life was Rem, if this caller was from Kararagi then they might, MIGHT, know a way back. A way back to Rem.

"Who is this!?"

More static. More distorted voices.

The man next to Subaru was watching the whole ordeal. He didn't know what was going on, but the phone-thing was making a lot of noise, "Hey, kid! Turn that off!"

Subaru either didn't hear or didn't give a damn what the man thought, "Hello?! I can't understand you! Where are you?!"

"Hey! Will you shut it off already?!" The man was raising his voice now. An irritated look was evident on his face.

As if to answer his request on its own, the metia hung up. The person on the other side must have ended the call.

"Damn it!" Subaru tried to call back, but he remembered the number was blocked.

A thought crossed his mind; if he was able to receive a call from Kararagi then he must also be able to make calls too. Right?

Subaru flipped through the contacts list, starting with the most important people first.

Subaru clicked on Rem's icon.

This metia is no longer available or in service.

Pain struck his chest, but he didn't give up. Moving onto Oki's icon, Subaru pressed it.

This metia is no longer available or in service.

Subaru began to feel tears roll down his face. Another.

This metia is no longer available or in service.

His tears were still falling. And another.

This metia is no longer available or in service.

Subaru tried each contact he had, but was met with the same message. With every call failed, a new tear fell.

For just a few second Subaru was in contact with the other world. But now he was cut off again.

The man in the other bed saw Subaru's face and worryingly asked, "You OK, kid?"

Subaru closed his eyes and shook his head. No.

.

.

.

.

.

.

It took two days for the doctor's to finally deem Subaru as healthy enough to leave.

During his last two days no one called him back on the metia. Subaru took it with him everywhere he went, no matter where he was going. The doctors would ask if they could take it from him to return it to his room while he went through various physical tests.