Chapter 15

No amount of arguments and convincing was shaking Nikos' mind. 

"Nikos, I don't want to become a queen who everyone hates. Can't we just postpone this?", I pleaded with him.

"You are the queen, no matter anyone's opinion. And this will never change", Nikos argued back, "they have no right to decide who sits on the throne."

Personally, I felt this statement was too high-headed of him.

But, it was the truth.

The Royal Werewolves were an autonomous unit in the werewolf world. They were lycanthropes blessed with enormous power compared to normal wolves. 

The Royals were established as King and Queen to bring peace to the werewolf world so that the Alpha's of different packs did not abuse their powers  or start fights between packs.

Since, the Royal Werewolves were usually content with their own mates, they were the perfect entities to bring order in the community.

"I know they can't decide the Queen.. But, it's not about their decision. It's about their opinion", I tried to reason with him, "They are afraid, Nikos." 

When I told this, a shade of sadness passed through me. Why was I getting so bothered by people's hatred? I never was before.  

My mate ran a hand through his already messy hair. 

"Do you realize what you're asking of me? You are rejecting me because you don't want the people to be angry. It's ridiculous."

"It's not a rejection", I told him, "I just want the coronation to be postponed."

'I am worried about you', I screamed in my head.

'I don't want you to get hurt.'

'I don't want you to be hated because of me'

Nikos walked towards where I was standing in the middle of the room and stopped just a few meters from me.

He was angry. But along with the anger, I saw the anxiety written clearly on his face.

"If you refuse to be queen, it is a rejection, Kyla." His eyes were focused on mine. 

"Because my mate is 'The Queen'", his features became adamant and immovable.

"I will not postpone it", he gritted through his teeth, "Nor will I allow you to reject me."

"Nikos, Please", I extended my hand to reach out to him.

My hand brushed his, before he pushed it aside and stepped away.

"I won't change my mind, Kyla", he told softly, "Not about this."

Before I could say another word, he was out of the room slamming the door on his way out. 

It was almost as if he was afraid I would change his mind if he stayed any longer.

This did not work,

I had to find an alternative.

Should I run away?

I dismissed the thought as soon as it crossed my mind. Running away would not solve anything. On the contrary, I would most definitely be caught in a short time and brought back and then Nikos would be even more hell-bent on finishing the coronation process.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

While I was searching for options to escape the inevitable Ball, the preparations for it were going in full swing.