Chapter 14

To my surprise, a genuine weaponry existed in the Underworld (and don't ask why, I wasn't sure myself). It was more of a gun store, accompanied by traps for bears and other animals rather than swords and axes. Did people hunt? Were there actually things to hunt? The questions baffled me but I didn't expect any answers.

Pan and I walked in, a burley man with gruff facial hair standing behind the counter.

"Well, if it isn't the infamous Pan," he mumbled quite annoyingly but Pan merely lifted his chin just a bit, slipping his hands into his jean pockets.

"We need one of your best guns and bullets," he said and the man narrowed his eyes, twisting a dud cigarette in his mouth.

"They do no good here, mate," he grumbled and I watched Pan slide out a vial; he winked.

"Oh I've got just the thing," Pan replied and the man smirked just a bit, placing his ash-covered hands against the counter.

"Water from the river, aye?"

"Exactly," Pan said, quickly shoving the vial back into his pocket and not allowing any time for me to question. "Now, a gun." Without another word, the man turned his back to us, leaned down and grabbed some sort of chest, placing it onto the counter with a loud thud.

"She's one of my babies," the man huffed, opening it from behind so we could see it front-on; we walked up to it and to my surprise (again), Pan seemed to know guns and was rather pleased with the one the man was suggesting.

He lifted it out of its case, examining it in silence and held it up, as if to shoot. Staying in that stance, with one eye closed and looking through the scope.

"Payment?" was all he said and upon hearing a grunt, lowered the gun back down and placed it into its case. I rolled back my lips and held my arms. How do you even buy stuff here? Whenever we went to Granny's, that witch would give us drinks free of charge. It's not like you could taste anything, but it gave us the feeling that we were alive somehow.

"Take it. I'll come 'round to your shop when I feel like it," the man huffed and I gave a small and grateful smile, but he shrugged it off, taking out his cigarette. "This place's gettin' crowded, so you're doin' a favour, boy."

"I like to think of it in that way," Pan said, somewhat emotionlessly. I narrowed my eyes just a bit, watching as he locked up the case. "The store's closed for the meantime, but feel free to come around when I've reopened."

"So it's true."

"What's true?" I finally spoke up, looking up at the man. He shrugged, moving the lifeless cigarette to the other side of his mouth.

"You're in a pickle with that Jane girl," he coughed and I rolled my eyes.

"You don't need to know the details," Pan swooped in before I could reply but I merely pursed my lips, holding my tongue. He grabbed the case's handle and slid it off the counter, holding it in his hand. "But your sale has been much appreciated." He's being so formal... The man shrugged, coughing again but he didn't reply.

"Let's go, love," Pan said softly, taking my hand and leading us out of the store.

"You outta be careful, mate," the man suddenly said from behind us. We paused but neither of us looked backwards. "She's a nasty one."

"She doesn't know what's coming her way," Pan finished and opened the door, his hand still enclosed around mine. The door slammed behind us and I paused for a moment, staring into the distance. "You okay, love?"