Chapter 4

Silas's POV

My wolf yipped happily at the thought of his mate coming back. Even the pain that had pained me subsided. Calm down, Yipper. He's only going to get rid of this pain.

You say that, but you'll start to feel connected to him as well. You'll be inexplicably drawn to him regardless of whether you want to be or not. I growled. My wolf always had a way of smugly returning my punches. He never gave in to anything I tried to say. Especially when it came down to Erika or Lewis.

A knock at the door pulled me back and I gave a small grunt. Erika came swaying in, her eyes darkened with desire. Oh great. The dog's in heat. I sighed. For once, I agreed. Females were so strange when they went into heat. One minute, they're clawing your eyes out. The next, they're clinging to you in bed. It was unpredictable. You didn't seem to mind too much when Lewis went into heat.

I stopped, ignoring Erika who was smothering herself against my arm. But, only wolves who can have children go into heat. Can Lewis? I don't know. He want into heat, didn't he? Put two and two together hotshot. I swallowed. There's no way he's... Right? I used protection. I'm... Positive. Usually if you have a pause between the words 'I'm' and 'positive,' you really aren't.

Fear coiled up inside my stomach, the low growls from Ericka's throat the only thing that kept me grounded. "Aren't we going to do it?" She asked in a higher pitched voice than usual. "... I... Have work right now."

"Oh, skip it. I'm sure they'll understand you spending time with your Luna." I put my head in my hands, pushing Erika away. "Listen, Babe, not right now, okay?" She huffed, crossing her arms and marching out of the room.

Once I was alone, it gave me a chance to gather all my thoughts. First, there is a chance my ex-mate is pregnant. Second, there's a chance my pregnant ex-mate is out in the woods all alone without any chance of survival. Third, there's a pretty big chance all of this is my fault. Fourth, there is a chance none of the above is true and I'm just paranoid.

I'm going to have to disagree with you. You know exactly what happened. Don't you feel it? I did. I did feel it. Right after he left. A flutter, a warm, wonderful, loving feeling. So it's true, then? I'm going to be a father? My wolf's silence made me nervous. Was there something he's not telling me? The idea of fatherhood was terrifying, but the way my wolf refused to respond was even worse. He always had something to say.

I got up, hoping to hear more about the search. Even if it was about Lewis, I needed a different topic to take my mind off of this one.

---

"Any luck with the search?" My Beta raised an eyebrow. "You mean the search you were do against? Why are you suddenly so interested? It's not like you've done anything to help." I shrugged. Scott sighed, shaking his ehad. "With the way we've been going, we could really use your help; your mate bond might lead us to him."

"'Might?'"

"Well, with the bond having been rejected by Lewis, we're not a hundred percent sure it will work. It could help, seeing as your wolf is still tied, but it may not if Lewis is so adamant about not being found." My wolf's hope sunk, and I felt a little guilty. Sure he's a jerk, but my wolf doesn't deserve this sort of pain.

My wolf snorted. Don't get all sappy on me now. You've been doing pretty well since you got me. I knew he was trying to cheer me up, and it gave me a sense of determination. I looked at Scott. "Okay. I'll help."