Chapter CV

It had been a few days since Jake's and mine's conversation about him becoming Alpha. I was actually trying not to be giddy about his acceptance of his birthright. He had grown an inch or so since the day that he'd told me and wasn't running patrol... at all. See, he wasn't the part of the Pack anymore, so he didn't have any responsibilities. Leah was glad that he was Alpha, told me so herself. Since she didn't have any duties at the moment, she was spending more and more time with Nate.

Embry and Seth had joined Jake's pack, but it still wasn't enough. Quil came by; he kept saying that he wanted to join us. But with Emily being engaged to Sam, Claire would be related to Sam. And going against him might mean that Claire would be kept from him. It wasn't like Sam would actually do anything like that. Keeping an imprint from her wolf... I guess it's his or her wolf now. Either way, keeping imprints away from wolves is painful for both wolves and imprints.

Paul had't really come by and said anything. Colin and Brady were absorbed in their own little world of wolfiness. There was nothing else that we could say, nothing else that we could do. At some point, Sam would have to step down and Jake would be recognized as the correct Alpha. It was all just a matter of time. Jake banged the front door open, pacing angrily in front of the television.

"I just cleaned there. If you get mud on the carpet, I'll rip your head off," I called to him.

He didn't say anything to me, growling and muttering under his breath. "Is there something that you want to talk to me about? Or is wearing a hole in the floor your plan?" I asked him, wiping my hands off on my apron. He didn't say anything.

"Seriously, Jake, what's wrong?"

"Sam is threatening them to stay with him. Jared came over today. Over to my pack, I mean." I nodded. "He said that Paul is afraid to leave because Sam might keep Charlie from him because she's been living with them and all that shit. I just don't know what to do, Annie. What if this isn't good enough? What if I'm -"

"I swear if you start on this again I'm going to my dad's," I threatened. He sighed and jumped onto the couch. "Everything will have to change eventually. Sam has to realize that he was wrong. You are Alpha. Just don't forget it."

I sat on couch next to him and rested against him while he turned on cooking shows. We were enjoying just being together, just being us when the phone rang out.

"I'll get it," I said, pushing up and grabbing the phone. "Black residence. This is Ryanne."

"You're not a Black!" Jake shouted from the living room. Yet. I was not a black yet. One day I would be.

"Ryanne, it's Alice," the tinkling voice said from the other end. "We need to talk."

"Why do you all want to talk to me? I told your brother that I wasn't helping Bella."

"You're life is in danger, Ryanne. Please."

Jake grabbed me by the waist, pulling me away from the phone and taking it for himself.

"What are you talking about leech?" Well, great; how was I supposed to hear what was going now? "What are you talking about? Who are they?" There was another long pause. "She was only there because of you."

"Jake, what's going on?" I asked, but Jake didn't say anything.

"You are the reason that she is in danger. And now you've broken the treaty. The pack will be after you. You will be dead before they can get to her. And we will always protect our own," Jake said.

"Tell your family that we said to leave ours the fuck alone." He pulled the phone away from his ear and was about to slam it down when I managed to get his arm.

"You already broke one phone this week," I whispered. He sighed and gently rested it against the receiver. His arms were tense and shaking, not breathing.

"Are you going to tell me what happened or should I just pretend like there was nothing said on the other end?"

"The Volturi received something about Bella's little spawn. Oh and Bella's a vampire now. The Cullens want our help to protect the baby and her. But they found out that you were alive, that you didn't die like Alice said you were going to. And now, they're coming for you because you're a threat to them."

He threw a fist into the wall, shattering the wall and the insulation. Why couldn't I just get a God damn break? Why did my life have to become a series of unfortunate events? I mean, those stupid books had nothing on me. At least those kids had people who tried to save them every time and only one person who was trying to kill them. Me? No, I wasn't that fortunate. I didn't have just one bad guy after me. First it was Bella and her compulsive need to have someone there for her. Then it was the redheaded leech and her army. And now it's the Volturi. I was going to die one way or another.

"Jake," I muttered. He was glaring angrily at the wall, his shoulders tense and his muscles straining.

I just wanted him to hold me, to tell me that I was going to be safe. He was going to protect me from this. But I was too tired, too scared to scale the wall that his anger had built.

"Jake." He exhaled, his shoulders relaxing again and slowly started turning around.

"I'm sorry baby, I -"

I didn't care what else he had to say. I needed him to hold me tight and give me strength. I clung to his waist, holding onto him like he was the very thing that I needed to stay alive. His arms dropped around my waist.

"I'm sorry, Annie. I'm so sorry that this keeps happening to you. I wish that I could find a way to end this all, to keep you safe." This isn't what I needed to hear.

"But I will keep you safe, Ryanne. Look at me." I couldn't. I was crying softly against his chest. I couldn't look at him and admit that I was so scared. He could smell it, I knew that. But I shouldn't be afraid. I was; I was terrified. I knew what these things could do to me.

Jake leaned down and pulled me against his chest so that I was lying in the cradle of his arms. He walked me to the bedroom and settled on the edge of the bed with me still in his arms.

"You will not come to harm, Ryanne Lee Swan. I will make sure that nothing will ever hurt you. We will fight these vampires; we will kill them. We will make sure that nothing happens to you," he whispered, his thumb drawing soothing circles on my shoulder. "I will do anything it takes to protect you, Rye."

He rolled me in his arms a little and pressed his lips to mine, rough and hot; in a way that made me forget what I was so upset about. I was breathless and a little dizzy when he finally pulled away.

"Let's get going; we have to talk to Sam."

"About what?" I asked.

"I told you, Ryanne, I will do whatever I can to protect you. Even if that means stepping down," he said. He set me on my fight and pulled me towards the front door.

"Jake, you can't do that," I said. He couldn't back down. That wasn't the point of this. He was supposed to be Alpha; he was supposed to be in this position. He couldn't back down. "You can't; you're supposed to be in charge. Don't let Sam win."

"It's not about letting Sam win, Rye. It's about protecting you. And if I have to protect you by joining Sam again then that's what I have to do," he whispered, kissing my forehead.

We walked in a comfortable silence to the house. Sam growled from the front porch, forcefully tossing Emily off of him and jumping from the porch.

"What are you doing here, Jacob?"

"We need to talk."

"Sam, please listen to him," Emily begged from behind him. Sam growled at her and marched down the steps. Emily quieted immediately and settled back on the swing, watching the unfolding events with wide eyes.

"We have nothing to talk about Jacob. You betrayed me by forming your own Pack. You've forced your brothers to pick between the two of us," Sam snapped.

"You are threatening your brothers to keep them with you. You are not the rightful Alpha. Sam and it is time for you to back down." He growled, his arms quivering.

Jake didn't even give him the chance to threaten him. He phased, standing in front of me in a way that dared Sam to come at us. So he did.