Chapter 5

Lewis's POV

Weak. Hungry. Tired. In pain. I struggled to open my eyes most mornings, my body refusing to respond and meet the glaring rays of sun that peeked through the forest canopy.

I missed the dirty floor of the basement. The thin blanket that barely covered up to my waist. I missed the meager serving I had to survive on. I missed my mate, strange as it mate seem. But most of all, I missed my wolf.

His shouts of encouragement, his upbeat personality through all we had to go through. I didn't deserve him. He was one of the kindest wolves ever, and all I could give him was a hard and difficult life, and a mate that didn't want him.  It hurt, thinking that I couldn't have been there for him, that I couldn't have stopped him from leaving. Maybe he'll be given another person, a better life. Maybe he won't have to suffer anymore. I prayed to the goddess that that's what will happen. That he'll get a new, wonderful, happy life, far far away from here.

The wolves continued to howl, not giving up their search even after... Three months? Two? It had been so long I'd lost count. Regardless, winter would be coming soon. They'll have to give up. If I've managed to survive this long, I won't in the harsh cold. Even with my wolf, it was a death sentence.

Even so, I still liked to imagine that I was back at the pack, happily living with my mate and child. Child... Panic set in. When was the last time I'd eaten? When was the last time I'd thought about the small child inside of me?! I rubbed my stomach roughly, hoping to elicit some sort of movement. It's been months. Shouldn't it have started to grow? No, calm down. It's because I haven't had a good meal. I have to stay calm. For the child.

I could tell I didn't have much longer before I lost it. Losing your mate and your wolf, it wasn't easy. Even the strongest of warriors died. A mate is someone you're physically and mentally connected to. To reject them to to rip off that connection, like ripping of a bandage, or breaking a bone. Add a burning and intense pain, and the terrible headaches and you know what it's like. Only it's ten times worse.

Your wolf is someone who will always support you no matter what. They keep you going in dark times. Losing them is like falling into the darkness without any light to guide you. You're stuck. No way out, no one to help you.

I felt a soft flutter, bringing me out of my thoughts. The small smile I could muster showed all of my love and happiness. It's alive. I have to at least survive until another pack finds me. I may not be able to move, but I know that I'm near the border. Many other packs use this area for hunting. Someone's bound to see me.

And they did.

As I slipped off into my comfortable slumber, I saw the silhouettes in the distance, making their way to me.

Despite my lack of strength, I smiled again, their worried shouts the last thing I recalled before falling into the dark sleep.