Chapter 7

Silas's POV

They found him. After almost four months of looking, Scott rushed in, the small boy in his arms.

It was a sorry sight to behold; the mangy figure of my ex-mate. His pale face was sunken in, his shallow breaths barely raising his chest. His limbs were small and skinny, and overall he was smaller than last time I saw him. When was the last time he ate? His ribs could be seen, poking out of his skin. His clothes were ragged, falling apart and covered in dirt.

My wolf whimpered and howled. Go to him, he urged. Go to our mate. I shook my head. "Take him to the pack doctor. Get him fed, too." Scott's surprise for my orders was evident in his eyes. It's because he can't believe you'd ever think of anyone but yourself.

---

After a few hours of waiting, Scott came out of the hospital room, his forehead creased. I had to admit, it annoyed me slightly that Scott was the first to hear the report on Lewis's health. But when I thought about it again, it made the most sense.

He looked at me after moment of silence, his eyes filled with undeniable grief. What did the doctor say?

"... So?" I voiced my question, attempting and failing to keep my voice even. Scott shook his head. "I... Think it would be best if... The doctor told you." His words scared me, as did his voice. He was on the verge of crying, but his voice was filled with disappointment.

I stood up, my movements stiff. My stomach felt vile and twisted when I entered the sterile room. The doctor was sitting in the chair by Lewis's bed where he lay, unmoving. The steady beep of the monitor reassured me, but the grim look on the doctor's face did not.

"Alpha, would you like to hear the status update?" I nodded. He cleared his throat, pushed up his glasses, and began. "Well, for starters, he was incredibly dehydrated, as well as malnourished. I have him on an IV drip, and wouldn't recommend solid foods until he can at least stomach things like applesauce or gelatin.

"His vitals were not the best, but not the worst. He is lacking in many vitamins, and has lost a lot of strength. He needs bedrest, food, and water for the time being. I'll put him on physical therapy in the months following." I nodded, pretending to follow what he was saying. As far as I gathered, Lewis isn't looking so great. Finally, the doctor finished the list and the look turned sad.

"Also," he said softly. "There's one last thing I'd like to discuss with you." My heart skipped a beat. Is this what caused Scott to look so dejected? What did Lewis do?! I'll kill him for making Scott look that way.

"Well?" I demanded. "What is it?" The doctor looked surprised by my attitude, by continued nonetheless. "Well, it's about...... Your child."

Silence surrounded me as my heart thumped. So... It's true. I'm going to be a father. "What about... My child?" I tried to keep the excitement from my voice. The doctor took notice, however, and sighed. "I think you'll need to sit down for this." I took the chair he directed me to, tapping my foot impatiently. I need to hear about my child. When is it due? What gender? What am I going to name it?

"Well, you see, because of the lack of food and water, along with the cold and wet weather Lewis had to live in for four months, the child... It... Didn't survive."