Chapter 37

MAARIAH'S POV

I stared down at my hands, then back up at the girl in the mirror.

I threw up

The wretched thing in my hand was wrong. I knew it was. There was no way that it could be true.

I gazed down again to check if my eyes had not fooled me. The results were still the same. Two red lines ran parallel to each other on the tiny screen.

I was pregnant.

I had the sudden urge to scream; to break pretty vases; to run away. Aware that I was home alone, I knew I could do the first two.

For ten minutes I caused havoc in my home. An ear-splitting screech cut through the room, on top of the sound of broken glass. I threw plates on the floor, my phone down the stairs and my beautifully handcrafted ornaments out of the window. I wanted everything to be as broken as I was.

I knew that I would be left to pick up the broken shards of glass.

Then, just as I was about to throw the lampshade down the stairs, my brother walked in.

"Woah, woah, woah, sis," Danyaal said surprised.

"What happened? PMSing? Did you fail a test in college? Although I highly doubt you'd do this for failing. I mean, you fail all the time," he cracked a smile.

When he looked up and saw my tear-streaked cheeks, his entire demeanour changed. His shoulders stiffened and he walked up to me and put his arms around my shoulder.

"Okay, this has to be guy trouble. I know that we don't talk about this much, but I need to know who he is and what he did to you. I'm going to kill him. He broke up with you?"

"No Danyaal. It's nothing like that. It's a lot worse," I sniffed. I realised then that if I could tell anyone, Danyaal was my first choice. He never overreacted, and knew how to make a situation right. He'd advise me.

"I'm pregnant," I wailed.

He looked at me, then wrapped his arms around my waist.

"Who did this to you? I know my sister. She wouldn't be with any guy. She's not like that. Who would hurt her? Tell me who raped you!" he yelled.

I drew my breath. I wished I could lie to him. I wished I could tell him it was all Nabeel's fault. Still, I knew that I couldn't blame Nabeel. I couldn't even mention Nabeel.

"No, N... No one raped me. I said yes. I made him. He didn't want to. I can't tell you..." I stammered.

Danyaal let go of his protective grip and stared at me, square in the eye.

"Who's the father?" he growled.

"I can't tell you."

"Tell me now, Maariah, or I will tell mummy and daddy."

"I CAN'T N...DANYAAL!"

"I'm upset, but if you tell me who he is, I may be able to sort this out. I may be able to make it a little less terrible for everyone. Just tell me."

"No. I can't. For his sake."

"Well then, Maariah. You'll have to deal with this on your own, for his sake. Until you tell me who the baby daddy is, you're on your own."

With that he slammed the door, leaving me alone with my thoughts.