Chapter CVIII: Jacob's Point of View

"Why are you crying?" I asked her almost desperately. I don't think the imprints fully understood what it felt like to us when they cried. The man in us wanted to make sure that they were okay while the wolf in us wanted to find whatever had made them upset and torture it until it could die a slow and painful death.

"Annie?" I swiped my pinkies down her cheeks, thoroughly confused.

She wiped her own fingers underneath her eyes and laughed a little, the sound pitiful.

"Don't mind me, Jake; I'm just being ridiculous," she said. It may be stupid circumstances but if it made her cry, it was anything but ridiculous.

"Cool off, Fido; it's nothing bad."

"Then why are you crying?"

"You look like your dad," she whispered. "When you do the whole Alpha thing, you look just like your dad. And thinking about your dad makes me think about your mom and how proud she would be of you, Jake. And I don't mean to start crying and all this shit, but I just wish that your mom could see what you've become, you know?" I did. I missed my mom; more than I let on. But that was my job. I let my sisters and Annie grieve and miss her and I comforted them and held it all in.

"Mom would be proud of you two baby girl." She smiled, her eyes still a little watery. "Next time, can you not cry because you scared the shit out of me." She laughed but nodded. I could see her getting tired, the entire morning finally getting up to her.

"Come on, let's get you home."

Annie was asleep before her head even hit the pillow, her fingers clinging to my shoulders. I laid down with her, but only for a moment. I couldn't let myself relax just yet. No; we could sleep later. I rolled to face her, just drinking in her beauty. She was stunning in her own way. Maybe it was because I love her as much as I do. Maybe it's because she's the only person that I will ever love. I choose to believe that it's because she's one of the most beautiful people to walk to the face of the planet.

I wrapped my hand in her hair and pulled her closer, angling her face up to look at me. This was what I was going to fight for everyday for the rest of my life. I leaned forward and pressed a sweet kiss to her forehead.

"Jake," she murmured in her sleep, trying to snuggle closer. This was not the right time for that. Not yet. I pulled away from her and watched her settle on my pillow, holding it tight to her chest.

Once her deep breathing had resumed, I leaned down again and put my lips to her temple.

"I love you, Ryanne," I whispered, smoothing her crazy curls underneath my hand. "I'll be back in just a little bit," I added. She wiggled towards me and I smiled, but I had to leave her. I had to protect her.

I phased as soon as I was inside the trees and began sprinting.

Where we headed? Seth asked. Now that I had my Pack back, I was back to wishing that everyone would get out of my head.

I'm going to the Cullens. You and the Pack are staying here. I'm not threatening them. I just want to talk about what this means.

And you want the rest of us to stay here? Leah snapped now. Ryanne is my friend, Jake. I want to protect her just as much as you do.

No, you don't. You have an imprint, Leah. If this was Nate, you wouldn't want anyone else trying to protect him. This is my job and my imprint. I'll let you guys know how this all goes.

They took the hint and stopped pestering me then. I made it to the border of the Cullen land, remembering when their little friend had come after her. Leah was right; they had never managed to protect her like they should. I couldn't trust them with her. I howled, only loud enough for them to hear. As if they were expecting me to show up, they appeared at the opposite bank.