forty

"Your look makes my breath explode
Your finger that held me, that white finger
I thought it would last forever
But you changed as time passed"

————————

The next day, we swam on the beach by morning then left Jeju before twelve noon. Yeri joined Jihyung and Jisung in the car since Jihyung said he'd be taking Yeri home which leaves the three of us in Sungjae's car.

Sungjae and Sooyoung proceeded talking to each other, leaving me quiet for seconds. Their voices slowly disappearing in my head as I was slowly occupied by the thought of meeting Taehyung. I'll be meeting him today. I thought.

I could just feel my heart palpitate in either anticipation or nervousness. I tried my best not to think of what could happen later as I calmed myself and stared at the sceneries through the window on our way home.

Three hours later, Sungjae stopped the car in front of my house. I thanked them both before getting off the car. As I closed the car door behind me, I walked forward the front gates, but before I could open it, I heard Sooyoung called me. I looked around and saw the window on the passenger's side rolled down and her face welcomed me, "I'm really sorry about the trip, Areum. If it weren't for Yeri's boyf—"

I smiled at Sooyoung and shook my head, interrupting her to say more. "It's okay, Sooyoung. I had fun. . . I think?" Then, I let out a small airy laugh. "I think you should also be nicer to Jihyung. He seems like a good dude and I can see how he loves Yeri. They wouldn't last for months if they aren't in love with each other, right?" I said.

She parted her lips, trying to counter what I said, but then she gave up and sighed defeatedly, "Well, you have a point. But still. . " He let out another sigh and added, "Sorry if I'm a bit rude." She said, pouting.

"It's okay." I smiled at her then continued, "Anyways, thanks again for the ride home. I'll go inside now and you two, take care of yourself." I added, crouching down to glance at Sungjae through the passenger's window.

"Okay, bye." Sooyoung said, smiling and Sungjae waved his huge hand at me before I turned around, and opened the gates then walked toward the driveway and into the house.

When I got in, I saw mom in the living room. She looked distress as all the papers and her things were scattered on the floor. She even have her laptop next to her on the couch as she started raising her voice at someone over her phone. I put down my bags on the side of the living room, and kneeled to start picking up the papers and her other stuff on the floor. As I organize and stack the papers on top of the coffee table, my eyes glanced at the television and saw she was watching a music show full of skinny teenage k-pop idols dancing and singing to their pop songs. I shook my head at my mom before turning it off. After cleaning up her mess, I stood up to get my bags and walked my way upstairs to my room.

Entering my room, I put down my bags on the floor and glanced at the wall clock which was placed over of my dresser table. 3:45 PM. I hurriedly opened my closet and grabbed a warmer clothing. I put on my peach thick hoodie over my plaid shirt. I looked down at my faded denim jeans and white sneakers to see if it was a good match, and fortunately it was. I didn't get the chance to comb my hair and run downstairs.

Mom was still on the phone, so I didn't bother talking to her since she was too occupied to notice me. As I got out of the gates, I cabbed towards the ice cream shop where Taehyung and I will meet.