Chapter CXIII

Witnesses? What the fuck did they think witnesses were going to do for me? Nothing; that's what they would do. Absolutely nothing. My family would be in danger and there was nothing that I could do about it this time. Hell, there was nothing I could do about it any time, but this was the time that I felt most vulnerable.

Vampires were coming in droves. Jake was constantly running patrol, afraid that one of them would offer us more harm than good. Afraid is probably the wrong word; the Pack was waiting for it. Having so many vampires around, especially vampires that feed on human blood, was driving all of them to the point of insanity. The urge to kill was pressing own upon them like lead. But Jake's plan for keeping us alive depended on the Pack's ability to control themselves.

Said plan was complicated and annoying if you asked me. Jake refused to hurt any of the witnesses so long as they obeyed the treaty and attested that the wolves were not a threat to the vampires. His hope, feeble as it was, was that the Volturi would see reason and leave us alone. I told him that I doubted it would happen. And Jake, being Jake, had some magical back up plan that he wouldn't even tell me about. He said that it was in case of emergency and that I didn't need to worry about.

I think that's the problem of being an imprint; we always worry. We worry about our wolves and the rest of the Pack. We worry about our families, the people of the tribe, the people in Forks. Our lists could go on and on. "It's because you're the Alpha's imprint. You worry about everyone like I take care of everyone," Jake said with shrug whileI was trying to explain this to him. "And because you worry about the most random shit."

"You know, I worry about our food burning. Should I stop doing that?" I'd countered. He just laughed.

"Like you could." I snorted in response, just a puff of air; not an actual sound. Jake knocked on the door frame of the kitchen, pulling me from my thoughts and concerns. "So, Carlisle wants you to go down to the house. He'd prefer that you either spend your time at their house or at the Rez," he said.

"And you're okay with this?" I asked, narrowing my eyes like I would get a better look at him that way.

"No; I told him that you would be staying on the Rez. End of story. But he would like for you to come down so that he can speak with you," he explained.

"And you're okay with that?"

"I can't fight too much, Annie. I need the vampires to work with me. Without them, I'll have to fall back on my other plan," he said.

"Which is?" I tried for probably the millionth time.

"None of your concern right now. Last I check, you had a million other things troubling you anyways," he replied, his hand coming up to fit against my cheek. "You ready to get going anytime soon?" I nodded.

"I just need to grab my shoes and I'll be good," I replied, stepping away from his warmth and towards the bedroom. Jake followed behind me, his hands resting on my hips as I paused to look for my shoes. He pressed his lips against the skin behind my ear, pulling my hair over to one side and trailing down the back of my neck. I shuddered involuntarily. It had been too long since I'd gotten to have Jake all to myself. Way too fucking long. "If you're trying to convince me to leave, you're really sucking," I whispered. He chuckled, the feeling vibrating down my spine and forcing me to lean back against his chest.

"I'm just trying to remind you what you're getting to wait for," he murmured against the skin.

"Why exactly am I waiting?" I laughed, turning to face him and locking my arms around his neck. "Because the last time I checked, we had an afternoon to ourselves for the first time in a few weeks," I added.