Chapter 24: Heat in the Rain

CHAPTER 24:
HEAT IN THE RAIN

                Alis, or a little part of her, believed that Nikolas was simply joking when he said that it will be the end once he caught her — the same went for the mere possibility that he was going to chase her actually existed. But now as she was running away from him yet managed to see his face at every corner of the buildings wherever she went, she came to understand that he was indeed very serious.

She had no idea what strings did he pull to shut down his fake account, but there was another thing that bothered her even more, not letting her think about the first matter. How the fuck did he manage to find her?

Surely, one of the most logical explanations when one would think where she was going to sleep when not in her own apartment would be a sleepover at friend's. But even if he could assume that the friend in question was Hailey since he only saw her, how the fuck could he know where she lived? He didn't even know her family name at that matter.

You can't run but you cannot hide — certainly those words befited the current situation. She's been on her feet, running away from him for over an hour and he would always find her. What she did, or what Hailey did so to say, was childish and evil, but he really had no reason to murder her over something so insignificant. He had a chance to strike back at her, so why did he act like she just pulled the last straw? He cut her hair, for fuck's sake!

And now as she stood in the dead street, alone with gray clouds looming over her as if they knew that she was about to meet her demise, she thought how the sound of the rain would dull out her screams as Nikolas killed her.

And just like that, the first raindrop fell on her forehead making her senses go crazy. In the utter silence in that alley where sounds of cars and people passing by didn't reach, as the noise stuttered down through the cracks in the buildings, dreadful cold began to rise. Gulping as her hearing became sharpened to the level of a vampire's, she heard the sound of steps dangerously approaching her. Rain that wasn't there few seconds ago become a dangerously thick downpour, completely soaking her who had nowhere to escape. A long sigh left her lips forming a mist as it left her lips but was immediately dissipated from the heaviness of the raindrops.

Alis looked around, she had nowhere to run, there was only one trash bin near by but it was more than full and not so great of a choice to hide in. Nikolas had luck, from the heavy rain that would hide all the evidences for the police to find to the perfect spot for her body to hide.

"Game over," he didn't say it noticeably loud, but Alis still heard every syllabi he said. She stood tall as she glared at the only way he could come at her from as his figure became clearer and cleared with every step he took. Gone was Nikolas in casual clothes she saw every day from her apartment, Nikolas in front of her wore business black suit, his hair was tied in a man bun with a scarf on his shoulders making him look like the boss of all bosses in the world.

"We meet again, Nikolas," she said as she tried to keep looking at him calmly, but with the abnormal amount of water going in her eyes and mouth, not to mention the tightness of her clothes thar suffocated her, she could barely do so.

"Acting all brave isn't going to help you at this situation, Alis. In fact, it is only making me think of much worse ways I could use to break you slowly, bend you to my will and then make the only thing on your mind wanting to die. When you beg me to kill you, I will only torture you more and more until you die mentally and then... As the good person I am, I'll will end you of your miserable face." With a sadistic grin on his face as he stood on less than three meters from her, he was seriously prepared to end her life once for all. No more morning where he'll have to worry about something misfortunate happening to him, no more relentless nights of the midget making noise that would drive him insane.