1

EMILYS P.O.V

My eyes fluttered open as I jumped in my seat as we currently were driving on a bumpy road in the middle of the Texas country side.

"Are we almost there?" I sighed from the back of my parents pickup truck that we had rented out.

"Emily, you've asked that over five times now" My brother Kyle exaggerated from beside me throwing his head back, he was as miserable as I was.

"Let's go to grandmas ranch for the summer, it'll be fun" I mocked from the backseat crossing my arms over one another.

I caught my mum rolling her eyes from the passenger seat, we had been over this multiple times when the topic was first brought up. At first I thought it would be fun, leaving the English country side only to realise we would be travelling to my grandmas house in the Texas country side, keep in mind in the middle of nowhere.

Also the trip may have sounded more enjoyable if it was only for a week or so, not the whole summer which meant missing out hanging about with my friends, attend parties and do what teenage girls do in the summer.

But it had been decided, my whole family was going to Texas for the whole summer, two months which I hope will go faster than what I think.

"Come on, Em look on the bright side, I heard grandmas got a few new horses" My dad piped up staring at me threw the window mirror.

"How fun, hopefully there will be horse crap and everything" I smiled sarcastically closing my eyes and leaning my warm head against the cooling window.

*****

I stared up at the ranch, it was just like I remembered since I was last here, let's just remind you I was ten so that was around seven years ago, just great this was going to be one long summer.

"Oh Em, look how big you've gotten!" My grandma gushed from the front porch rushing over to me.

Her warm skin wrapped around my small frame as she embraced me into a gentle hug, I guess I haven't seen the women since I was a child so I barley remembered her or what she looked like.

"Did your parents tell you I've got new horses?" She grinned letting go of me but still keeping me at arms length.

"Yeah" I smiled nodding before my dad handed my one of my few suitcases I had brought with me.

She smiled before turning to Kyle who was currently what looked like trying to find service, also another downside of being here, no service what so ever, not only am I not spending summer with my friends but now I can't communicate with them.

*****

I trudged over to my bed, hurling the empty suitcase onto the floor as I sprawled out on my new bed that was mine for the summer.

After all the greetings that took place earlier, grandma had shown us to our rooms, luckily for me I got the bedroom with a bathroom and a double bed, just the same one I had stayed in seven years ago.

For the past two hours I had been in the middle of unpacking my three large suitcases into the small wardrobe space that I was provided with, I guess I really can't complain though. Kyle really got the short end of the stick when it came to rooms, he had take one for the team and take the sofa as the house didn't have enough spare bedrooms to occupy us all.

I wiped of the bead of sweat that was starting to form on my forehead as I ripped of the flannel I was currently wearing, maybe now it's a good time to have a shower.

*****

I pulled on my converse as I headed out my bedroom door before stuffing my phone in my pocket, if I couldn't find service out here I was going to make it my mission to find some.

I trotted downstairs and passed the kitchen where everyone was currently gathered sitting around the table with mugs of tea.

"Hey grandma is it alright if I take one of the horses for a ride?" I asked standing in the doorway of the kitchen.

"Go ahead sweetie" She smiled before turning back into conversation with my parents.

I quickly slipped out the front door and made my way over to the barn that was located only a few steps away from the house.

I entered the barn taking in account the different horses that occupied stalls, I quickly grabbed a saddle and rains as I opened the first stalk to the right that currently held a midnight black horse.

I prepared the horse before grabbing a helmet that was probably a use full thing to use, I haven't ridden in years and I'm probably pretty rusty.

I led the horse out side the barn by the rains before using a stepping stood to climb onto him, what can I say I'm a short girl and the horse is probably taller than most people.

I took my phone out of my pocket and kept it in my hand, so when I did achieve my goal of finding service I would be able to actually call my friends.

I followed the lane that lead into my grandmas house and back into the main road before I walked the horse for a few minutes before spotting a trail beginning.

I quickly changed the direction of the horse to follow the trail that hopefully may lead me to some service, after around 15 minutes of no luck I was beginning to loose my determination before the horse came to a halt before a small lake.

I frowned, maybe if I keep going for another little while I will turn around and make my way back home before its dark.

I gave the horse a small kick to give it some encouragement to cross the lake, it did as it was told and I felt the water collide with the bottom of my ankles as the horse noisily splashed across the shallow lake to get to the other side.

As we finally crossed the lake, my phone lit up and to my delight a few bars appeared in the corner of my phone. Who new that crossing a lake would make so much difference.

I smiled taking my helmet of, maybe I should find a place to sit and give the horse a break before I spend some time taking advantage of the service.

I quickly moved the horse onwards, knowing that I could spend at least another half hour here on my phone before I should head back.

I was about to settle down when I heard a twig snap just a little bit onwards ahead of me, the horse I was currently on took a step backwards as if it was about to be spooked.

I sighed patting the horse trying to help it calm down, it was probably just the wind.

My head snapped to the side when I heard the noise of a twig snapping again, only this time much louder and much closer.

Maybe I shouldn't have came out here alone.

I jumped as the noise sounded again only followed by a low, deep growl which made the horse start to make noise loudly.

My eyes widened in fear before I saw something black dash throughout the tress before I felt the horse jump widely without any warning, sending me flying of the back of the horse and landing with a hard thud on the ground, my head banging of a large rock, before everything went black.