Chapter 38

There was no confrontation. No shouting, no tears, no drama. Nothing.

Instead, my father left the room the second my mom had pointed at the photo and uttered a quiet: "Andrew... Is this really you?"

Afterwards my mother hadn't spoken a single word. Sitting there, silent and unmoving, she looked at the picture for minutes.

After a while, Alexis left her post by the door and walked out into the corridor, motioning for me to follow her. I glanced back at my dumbfounded mother one last time before I left the room.

Alexis was standing by the front door and handed me my jacket wordlessly. I shrugged it on as I made my way to her car, a small black Chevrolet.

I didn't ask where we were going. Truth be told, in that moment I didn't really care, as long as it was away from my parents.

Alex didn't try speaking to me and turned some music on instead. After a few seconds, I recognized Welcome To The Jungle by Guns N' Roses.

I raised a brow at her, but didn't comment. She just grinned and turned the volume higher, until I could feel the bass thrumming beneath my feet.

It was only after a few minutes that I realized where we were heading. "Really? To Nate's?"

Alexis shrugged, though her cheeks turned pink. "What? He told me to come over whenever I need him. Right now you do, so I don't think he will mind I if I extend his offer."

"How many times have you been here before without telling me?" I teased.

"A few times? But it's not like-" She interrupted herself and scowled at me. "Stop laughing! You and Hunter aren't much better."

I grinned. "Didn't say we were."

"Then stop looking so smug!"

"I'm just happy for you guys," I said honestly.

She was silent for a moment, smiling faintly. Suddenly, she asked: "Are you nervous about what your parents will do now?"

"I thought I would be, but I'm not. I'm just worried for Maya and what an impact this might have on her. But I don't regret it, if that's what you mean. Not after everything I went through because of my father."

"Maya will be fine," Alex said reassuringly. "She's got you. And she'll have Hunter."

"Does he like children?" I asked curiously. For some reason, I couldn't really imagine Hunter playing Barbie or drawing with Maya.

Alexis laughed. "They scare the hell out of him. But I'm sure he'll love your sister."

A grin spread on my face at the thought. "God, Maya will adore him. She usually latches onto any new friend coming over, but I feel like she'll love Hunter even more."

We pulled up in front of Nate's house only a few minutes later. His parents' car was nowhere to be seen, which I took as a sign they weren't at home.

Nate opened the door after the first knock. He wasn't wearing anything other than some sweatpants that were hanging low on his hips. His hair looked slightly wet from the shower he had apparently just had, and drop of water was still glistening on his slender torso.

"Hey, man," he said as he saw me, a surprised look on his face. "Are you alright?"

"Yeah, I'm fine," I answered and stepped aside so he could see Alexis behind me. "Coming here was actually her idea."

Nate's face flushed bright red as soon as he spotted her. "Oh, h-hey, Alex. Sorry, let me just, uh..." he stammered and nearly tripped over his own feet in his hurry to run upstairs.