Chapter Thirty Five

Daniel's P.O.V

I have been jogging for more than an hour with Elvis who happens to be teasing me about so many useless things.

I have always wanted to ask him something since yesterday.

"When I came out from Chloe's room, I didn't see you guys yesterday. Where did you all go to?"

"We wanted to show Crystal around. She was getting bored so we decided to..."

"Your lips are saying something different from what your eyes are showing me. Don't even say it if you know you'd lie."

"Oh what? Acting as if you spent only two minutes in there. You have no shame. Her mum was around and..."

"Did you guys hear anything?" I asked. It doesn't sound right.

"No, Leah sacked us all. Including herself. We all didn't want to go. How old is Chloe's mother? That woman is great!"

Not when she has your neck with her two hands.

"Hey, should i start buying a new suit? And shoes and..."

"Do I care if you don't?"

"Yes you do. How can your best man show up in old clothes?"

"Best man? My best man?" I'm

It took me three minutes to make a meaning of what he had said. He smiles at me and I smile back.

"Eunice asked Chloe yesterday and she just laughed. Like how you are smiling now."

Where is this leading?

"I get it. We will when the time is right. Which I know it will be soon." He said with a smile.

                                   ***

We get home to find Grace with Mia. She will be a nice mother. She deserves the best in life. She's great.

"Hey, sup?"

"Mia is making my life miserable. She keeps murmuring sit, sit, sit. And she keeps running."

I smile at them.

"So what are we doing for Mia on her birthday?"

"That's two months away from now."

I reminded them.

"We need to plan it. So she'll love it for the rest of her life."

She'll probably not remember.

"Sure, feel free to plan it. It will be great for her. Let's invite the president too."

"That's not a bad idea," she responded.

"It's been long since you went for a check up. So I won't blame you," I said while walking out.

                              ****

Reaching for my phone, I dial Chloe's number.

"Hey sunshine."

She calls me sunshine? Since when?

"Hi, hun. Still in bed?"

"Hmm. I'm not being lazy. I want to sleep well because I have work tomorrow. I don't want my boss shouting at me when he finds me sleeping."

I laugh as I remember walking into her office one morning while she was sleeping behind her desk. She swore she wasn't sleeping while she looked at me with those big red eyes.

"Someone is remembering something I guess," she teased.

"Yes, you were so annoying that time."

"Me? Annoying? I was just fighting for what I loved."

"Which was? You couldn't even control your tears...when I shouted at you." The last part comes as a whisper.

"So what are you doing today?"

"I'm gonna stare at your picture all day," I said while laughing.

"Just kidding. I'm free today. Wanna come over?"

"Nope. I have to take my mum out."

"Guess I have to stick to my schedule. I was thinking you wanted to be with me." We both chuckle and both become quiet for a while.

"Let's have dinner with my family on Tuesday. What do you think? I have given you plenty of time."

"Plenty of time? Who are you kidding?"

She becomes quiet.

"I'm actually scared of your grand mum. What if she doesn't like me? What if..."

"You'll be fine. Just be normal."

"I'm not normal when I'm around you," she said.

"Is that a confession?" I tease her.

She sighs. "I'm not joking."

"Just don't worry. OK?"

I'm sure she's nodding her head in agreement. Without realizing I can't see her.

"I got to go babe. Mia and I both miss you. We hope to see you soon."

"Oh, really?"

"Yes, dear. We miss going for a walk with you. It's not everyday that we get a young beautiful Lady to walk with."

I hear her laugh.

"OK, bye."

"Bye."

"Now hang up."

"No you hang up."

"Hmm-hmm. You do."

"Nope."

I'm too old for this. I remind myself after a final goodbye, I hang up.

                   ***

Thanks for reading and voting...