Chapter 51: Six Hours Earlier

Donnie was in his lab, continuing to work on the brain worm serum for Karai. The others were also present as he worked.

"How's it going, Donnie? Any luck?" Raph asked.

"I've been able to synthesize the neurotoxin from the brain worm based on your blood sample," Donnie answered.

"Ooh, pretty," Mikey commented then added with a laugh, "Plus, I thought Raph was only scared of cockroaches. Who knew he was terrified of needles?"

"Shut it, Mikey!" Raph snapped.

"At least Jamie provided the perfect distraction for him," Leo smirked.

"Yeah. By kissing him," Mikey said and added kissing noises.

"Well, you can't blame the guy. I'm afraid of them too," Jamie admitted.

Raph looked at her and smiled, which she returned and let her head rest on his shoulder and he put his head on hers.

"You think it'll work on Karai?" Mikey asked about the serum.

"We're about to find out," Donnie answered.

He put Raph's DNA in the solution he created. It started to react then it went black and overflowed out of the beaker.

"Ohh!" Donnie sighed disappointedly.

"Donnie, you tried your best," Jamie assured.

"Even if it totally sucked," Mikey added, which earned an elbow to the gut from Jamie.

"Aah! It's useless. I'm not even close! I can't do it. This brain worm is impossible," Donnie exclaimed in frustration, then added sadly, "Sensei, I'm afraid there's nothing I can do."

"I know how hard you have tried, Donatello. Some things are simply not meant to be. At least I have four wonderful sons and daughter," Splinter said then left the lab.

The others followed suit, but Leo wasn't ready to call it quits.

"Donnie, you know how much this means to Sensei," he informed.

"Leo, I'm trying as hard as I can," Donnie remarked.

"Well, try harder," Leo stated.

"Try harder?! I always have to find the solution! You're leader, Leo! You find the answer! Or what about Raph?!" Donnie shouted.

"I got the answer for you! Karai's a lost cause!" Raph yelled.

"Don't say that, dude," Mikey replied.

They all got in a heated discussion about the whole thing until Donnie's T-Phone went off.

"Hey, April. Not the best time," he answered.

"Donnie, I really have to talk to you, alone. It's important. I need you to meet me," April explained.

"Shizukani! What is the problem here?" Splinter asked.

"Nothing, Sensei. I'm heading out. April needs me," Donnie muttered, preparing to leave.

"You're needed here now, Donnie," Leo argued.

But Donnie got his helmet and headed for the stealth bike. He rode off.

"Donnie! Donnie!" Leo called out.

But he was long gone.

"My sons, you cannot drive each other apart. In times like these, unity is important. Do not forget the most basic lesson. An effective team thinks as one," Splinter stated.

He left for the dojo as everyone went their separate ways.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N So, that backfired. But what are the others gonna do about Karai now?