Chapter 31

My breathing wasn’t leveling out as I opened Skype and waited. We hadn’t talked for a few weeks and I failed to realize how much could happen in a few weeks. They didn’t know anything about recent events and my stomach was churning that I would have to tell them. There was no way avoiding it. They had the right to know.

Incoming Call from Becca popped up and I took a final deep breath before hitting Answer.

“Hey Cammie!” Becca said, her ‘fro for hair bouncing wildly as she hopped over beside Riley.

“Hey guys!” I tried putting on my best smile, just chill and simple. “What’s up?”

“Eh, nothing much. Just enjoying summer. We were planning on going to the beach today with Chris, Matty, and Laurie, but they all bailed because they work today.”

“Oh, lame.”

“Yeah, but my mom saved the day by saying we’re going to go drive out to my aunt’s house because it’s near one of the college’s that I’m debating. We’re doing college visits all summer,” Riley groaned, sticking her tongue out.

“I’m sorry,” I said, not really sorry. I was almost jealous. I’d almost rather be doing college visits than dealing with Liam.

“No you aren’t! You’re in, what, Paris now, aren’t you?”

“Yeah, I am.”

“How is it? We haven’t talked since June.”

“It’s only July, you know this right?”

“So? How is Paris? Has Liam kissed you yet?” Riley asked, making faces, pretending the whole idea was so completely absurd.

“Well, that’s actually kind of what I want to talk to you about…” I began, tracing my fingers along the design of the hotel duvet cover. Don’t look at them, I don’t want to see their faces.

“Hold the frick up. Cam, look at us.” I didn’t.

“Camille Alexandra Everett. Look at us right now.” I peeked up at the computer screen to see both their faces studying my own.

“No way. No way. He kissed you! He actually kissed you!” Riley squealed, grabbing a pillow and smashing it against her face.

“So wait, are you guys dating now?”

“When did this happen?”

How did this happened?”

“More importantly, how was it?”

“Guys!” I yelled, feeling frantic. They didn’t know what happened. They didn’t know what it’s been like.

Both their heads snapped towards me with expectant looks. With hopeful looks. As if their little fairytale was coming true.

“I need to start from the beginning. Do you think you can pretend that you aren’t excited for like, five minutes?” 

“But it’s so romantic! I mean, you guys kissed. That’s only every fangirl’s dream,” Becca reasoned and I shook my head.

“No, no it’s not as romantic as you guys think it was.” They both looked a little skeptical, which I understood. If one of them told me they met a celebrity, they became friend, they had a crush on each other, and then they kissed, I probably wouldn’t think anything bad came of it. It would be perfect and romantic and ideal. But they didn’t know the full story and I needed to change that.

“Okay, then, what happened?”

“So it happened about… three weeks ago, I think. The day after the last day of school.”