10| A RAT IN THE WORKS

A few days later, Emmy was back at work. Jaived was downstairs working on the cylinder, trying to figure out how to open it. She was back in the room where the skeleton of the Jeep was, fixing a few parts where the wires had been stripped and fried. Emmy removed part of the framework to repair it, there were holes along the bottom which she would need to solder and repair before she placed it back on. Jaived and told her that if anyone was to stop by, that she would have to help them herself, he wasn't sure how long he would be or how far he would get to opening the cylinder. Emmy found it odd that no one had put a note in the box on how to use or open it. It was a strange blue colour, it wasn't smooth but rather lumpy and oddly heavy. She picked up a few of the scrap metal pieces and a few wires, planning on fixing them beforehand.

From the left-hand building of the maintenance facility, Emmy could hear a faint yelling coming from the circular building—which was technically a small reception area that was left unfurnished aside from the rough black carpet and the silver block letters saying; 'TERRA NOVA MAINTENANCE FACILITY' hanging on the rounded inner wall opposite the sliding doors. Emmy furrowed her eyebrows and left the side of the building she was in, making her way across the room to the doorway, noticing a man with greying hair and a beige jacket holding a box in his hand. He continued to yell and Emmy could hear his Australian accent, she recognised him, but she wasn't sure where from.

"Jaived? Jaived, where are you?" He yelled again, as Emmy walked out of the doorway and stood in the middle of the reception area, staring at him. "Do you know where Jaived is?" He asked impatiently.

Emmy tilted her head up, still looking at him with a slightly disgusted face. "Who wants to know?"

"Who are you? His maid?" He motioned to her, clearly having no idea who she was, or what the concept of manners was.

"No, but we could use one, you looking for a job?"

The man laughed harshly. "You must be Emilia Cade."

Emmy's face dropped and her top lip curled up as she spoke in a monotone voice, "Let me guess: Thomas Boylan."

"How'd you know?" He leaned forward with a grin on his face, his eyes were dark.

"I was told there was a rat in Terra Nova, and well, if the shoe fits."

Boylan fake laughed again before he glared at her. "Where's Jaived?"

"Working, something you don't seem to be doing." Emmy shifted the weight of the objects in her arms, raising her eyebrows at him as he looked him up and down, unimpressed.

"That's cute, keep it up and we'll see how long you'll keep working for." He pointed at her, clutching the box in his other hand tightly. Emmy wasn't going to just roll over and allow him to speak to her like that.

"If you keep up this little attitude of yours, we're going to have a problem."

Boylan tilted his head and scoffed. "Was that a threat?"

"No, that was a promise. Now if you'll excuse me—actually, you know what? I don't need to excuse myself, I shouldn't have to explain myself to a rat like yourself."

Emmy began to walk towards the steps of the office Jaived and Emmy shared. She couldn't believe that Boylan was just as Tanya described him, 'not that great of a character,' but after seeing him in person, she was certainly going to believe Tanya more often. Especially as she had been here longer than Emmy had. She shook her head, continuing to make her way down the stairs when she heard Boylan's uncanny accent yell down the stairs from the reception area she had left him standing in moments before;