85: Origins | Living Spirits

Lea ran as fast as her legs could get her to be without essences. Oliver on her heels. Their panting and breathless gasps were a looping tune in the Woods.

Half an hour past, but they still could not find Bright. The shouting had faded. Lea felt herself cold, while Oliver could only think of all sorts of possibilities.

Then another piercing sound resonated; "AAAAAH!" Louder than before. Then Lea knew if she could not find him soon, she might never see him again. Her seat mate, a kind boy who never really wanted to harm anyone or anything. Just a normal teenager struggling to cope with their predicament in his own simple ways.

She remembered how he was always surrounded by people who adored him despite his boisterous personality. Whenever he was around, the room would seem to glow a warm ambiance. He was the merry maker, and he should not perish for being dragged into a world he could have avoided, if not for her.

With a grunt, Lea closed her eyes and focused most of her essences to Scan. In the next moment, she could feel the disturbing entities in the surroundings. She could not comprehend their existence, but her priority was to find Bright. Without delay, she poured even more essences of what she had left.

Then a familiar form was detected. "5km east." She uttered weakly, sweat dripping down her face. Oliver immediately grabbed a clean cloth and wiped Lea's sweat; from her face, to her neck and arm. "Please drink some water, Lea. And eat some crumbs." His voice tender, he offered adequate nourishment for Lea to keep their condition above normal.

It was important to get hydrated, and since essences cannot be absorbed in the Woods, they needed to keep themselves well-fed. Oliver was taught as such as he followed Lea around.

She accepted Oliver's thoughtful actions gratefully. Afterwards, she tide up her long hair to a ponytail, making sure she could see at least 180 degrees of her peripheral view. She was ready to fight without essences if she had do.

"Thank you. Here, let's go." Offering her hand for Oliver to stand, Lea said with her usual placid expression. Oliver then took her hand and patted some dirt off him. "Do you want to keep my sword?" He asked.

Lea shook her head. "You need to protect yourself. I'll be fine." She smiled.

He nodded in assent, and started stroking her head gently. "I trust you."

Afterwards, they immediately took off towards where Bright was making some noise.

.

.

It was getting darker, and Bright remained tied up at a tree. Below him, different apparition hovered about. Due to fear, he could feel himself leaking. But he abstained for the sake of whatever pride he had.

"....Get AWAY!! AAAH!!" Screaming his lungs out, he was trying to scare off the legless beings. Every glance they throw at him, he felt his soul quiver.

He had stopped wondering why he always ended up in troublesome, if not dangerous, situations. It seemed the world was intent on killing him before he could gain the power to oppose nature. Of course there is no such thing.

The beings seemed to be talking to one another, and Bright was thinking of all sorts of different topics they could be discussing about.

'How should we cook him?'
'Grill? Eat him alive?'
'We should skin him first.'
'Look at his tender limbs, I want the arm.'
'I will have the eyes!!'
'Come on, I want the eyes too. They are pretty...'

Feeling delusional over the made-up conversation, Bright unconsciously closed his eyes. But he could still feel the beings around, making him feel even more miserable and scared. 'Lea... Why do I keep feeling you are gonna be there to save me anytime...' He thought.