Chapter 4:My (SHOCKING!) Strong Powers

"D-Demeter?"I squeaked.I couldn't believe it.How can that be true?She would have a lot of chances to tell me she's my mother.

  "Yes."A man---wait a minute,a man with horse legs---appeared from the crowd."Welcome to Camp Half-Blood,Foínix.I am Chiron,the Director of Camp Half-Blood."

  I was surprised that the horse man knew my name,but the only thing I could think of to say was,"Are you born deformed or something?"

  The half horse man rose his eyebrows at me."I'm a centaur,Foínix,"he said slowly.

  I blinked."Oh.My apologies...But doesn't those things don't exist?"I cleared my throat and glanced at the worm-like thingy on the grass,motionless."And what in the world is that?"

  "I don't think I've ever seen this type of creature before..."Chiron frowned at the dead thing."And those 'things' that you think don't exist does exist.So are gods and monsters."

  I stared at the black worm."Right.Well...That probably means that there wasn't such thing as this thing--"I pointed at the worm as a look of disgust crossed my face"--until today."Boy,I was acting as if it was normal to hear someone telling me that gods and monsters do exist.

  Beside me,Percy started towards the worm,but Aunt Athena's daughter stopped him.I stared at the both of them as they seemed to be communicating to each other without speaking at all.Does telepathy exist?

  I heard a rustle and saw Chiron making his way cautiously towards the worm.The creature twitched and I screamed,"Look out!"

  But it was too late.The worm pounced on Chiron and sank its (surprisingly) ultra-sharp teeth into his arm.Chiron yelped in pain(do centaurs yelp?) and collapsed on the ground.Forgetting the dangers that the worm might pose,we(Percy and that Aunt Athena's girl and me) ran towards him.He was turning greener after seconds as he blinked hastily.

  The worm removed its fangs away from Chiron's arm to snarl at us.We backed a little away,and it resumed chewing on Chiron's arm.

  "We've got to help him,"Percy said,and took out a pen from his jeans pocket.I was about to ask him,"OK,so a pen's going to help Chiron?" when he uncapped the pen and it expanded to a sword.

  The sword probably must be lethal to the worm,because it hissed at the sight of it.A part of my mind sang,"My dear,that boy Percy will die if he threaten that thing with his Riptide."

  I frowned at my slight headache and touched Percy's arm."No,"I said,rubbing my temples."Don't make it angrier..."Percy frowned,but he listened.

  I had an idea on how to make the worm let go of Chiron,but it was a bad one.1) I always had a headache after using that power.2) It always exhausts me.

  But I had no choice.Chiron's face was turning as green as the leaves now.I had to do it.

  I raised my hands at the worm and prayed hesitantly."Mum,please help me."Closing my eyes so I would concentrate,I felt massive power pulsing through my veins,and I heard loud gasps.I opened my eyes to see tree branches bounding the black worm,not touching Chiron anymore.

  My head began to throb like hell.My knees gave way,and Percy caught me just in time before I fell onto the ground.Lots of kids began to rush towards Chiron,asking loudly if he was okay.

  Chiron's face had turned purple,and his pupils widened.Letting out a shout,he got up from the grass and growled at the kids.They backed away in an instant.Chiron roared loudly as he started towards the kids.Some ran away screaming,while others stayed rooted to the ground.

  Out of the corner of my eye,I saw Athena's daughter whipped out a sharp dagger.She readied herself for an attack as Chiron took out his bow and arrow and began shooting randomly,roaring loudly at the same time.

  "Annabeth,look out!"Percy yelled when Chiron aimed his arrow at her.She didn't seem to hear him at all as she tried to lead all the kids out of the danger zone.

  I knew I had to help her.For some reason I knew if Annabeth was dead Percy would want to die too.So I focused with all my might.Helpherhelpherhelpherhelpher...

  The sound of a tree branch breaking free from a tree made me look up.As the tree branch fell,it intercepted Chiron's arrow.I watched in contentment as the tree branch fell,an arrow sticking out on one side.

  Black spots filled my vision,and I gripped Percy's arm for support.I remembered the last thing I said to Percy was,"Goin'...to faint.Thank me...later."Then I blacked out.