[2] The Newbie

It had been two months since Connor Walsh had arrived at Auxilius, but the only two people he could trust in the entire clinic were Dr. Engel, his therapist, and Owen Sabi, an eighteen year-old volunteer worker. Even though no one said it around him, it was clear that Connor was a "special case," not that he really minded.

For starters, he had on red scrubs, which meant he was on the third floor, where not a lot of people stayed, and he had only one nurse, while others had different ones every other day. And, best of all, he didn't have to attend Group Therapy, something that was currently taking place right now. Instead, he would be with Owen, doing whatever he wanted.

"Sorry I took so long. The newbie disappeared, and it was hectic downstairs for a while. I just barely got away by saying it was time for our Partner Therapy."

Speak of the devil.

Connor looked up and saw Owen leaning against the door, head tilted back for support. He breathed unevenly, as if he had run.

"Do you mind if I get something to drink first?" he asked. "I'll get you something, too."

Connor pretended to think about it, although he had mentally answered Owen's question way before he finished asking it. "I suppose, if you'll buy me something good. Like grape soda, or something."

Owen rolled his eyes. "Soda; too rich for my paycheck. I meant something free, like water, but if you want to be expensive. There's a vending machine for that downstairs. Let's go."

"Water's for babies." Grinning, Connor stood and followed Owen out the door. If it were any other time, he would have said no, as the first and second floors had the most people, but all the patients would be at Group Therapy, in the lobby, and his red scrubs told nurses not to go near him.

As they neared the stairs, Connor groaned, not wanting to have to walk down two flights of stairs. "Can we take the elevator?"

"No. Dr. Engel will be mad if he finds out I'm letting you use the elevators. You know it's off-limits for patients. Besides, it's only two flights. Consider it a work out."

"Well, he'll be mad if he finds out I'm abusing the privilege I have, and the two flights feel like two hundred. And I don't need to work out. I'm healthy. Besides, what would you do if I was walking the stairs but I collapsed because of the fatigue?"

"You just said you're healthy," Owen deadpanned. "We're taking the stairs."

Connor opened his mouth again, trying to think of a decent comeback, when Owen opened the doors leading to the stairway and pushed him through the doorway.

As they made their way down the stairs, Owen dug through the pockets of his scrubs, frowning.

"Damn, I don't have my wallet." He turned to Connor with a sly look on his face. "You know, I'm not that thirsty anymore. This is a sign from the heavens that I shouldn't buy you anything."

Connor put on his own sly face. "No, it means you need to work out more. Now go back upstairs or downstairs and get your wallet while I wait for you here."

The smirk on Owen's face turned into a frown. "I can't do that. You know you have to have a chaperone at all times."

Connor waved his hand carelessly, although a small nervous feeling grew in his chest. "Trust me, I can be on my own for five minutes. Everyone's at GT and the nurses know to avoid me. I'll be fine," he half-lied when Owen still looked skeptical. "Now go." To prove he was serious, Connor pushed Owen back towards the stairs as he himself walked through the doors of the First Floor.

Luckily, there seemed to be no one near by. Even more luckily, the vending machine was just up front. He walked towards it quickly, trying to kill the growing pang of paranoia in his chest when he heard a can fizzling.