31. Mementos

If you enjoy reading my story, and would like a sequel, please show some love by voting, and leave some comments telling me your thoughts about the story so far!

I walk through the house, and it feels eerily empty. No sounds of Mum rummaging in the kitchen, or dad in his study. Brooklyn's usual trail of mess leading from the doorway to wherever he is, isn't there, and there's no sign of Marnie yet. Walking through the kitchen I spot a brightly coloured post-it-note stuck to the refrigerator.

"There's a lasagne in the oven for you girls tonight. We'll be home around lunchtime tomorrow. Mum & Dad xox"

Marnie must be around here somewhere then. I head on upstairs to find her, and she's wearing headphones on her floor sketching a woman's face. I've always envied her knack at mastering any form of artistic ability, where I'm barely capable of drawing a stick figure. She's obviously gotten this from Dad's side, where I find myself more involved in sports and English. My mother says I've inherited her business mind and eye for detail, but I personally think she's just trying to get me to join her at her firm.

When Marnie spots me out of the corner of her eye, she does a double take, and grabs her chest in surprise.

"Oh my gosh, you scared me," she laughs. "When did you get home?"

"Just now," I reply. "Where is everyone?"

Pulling out her headphones, she stretches out, before sitting up.

"Yeah, they have Brooklyn's game tonight in Mornington so they're just going to stay there the night."

"Girls night in then?" I suggest, leaning in her doorway.

"Sorry lady, I've got so much homework to do. Why don't you have Harry over instead," she offers, raising her eyebrows suggestively.

"Yeah, maybe...we'll see," I reply.

"What's wrong with you?" she asks, packing her sketch pad away.

"Nothing," I answer, a little too quickly.

She gives me a look to make it obvious that what I'm saying, she's not buying.

"Try again," she demands.

"Nothing, I don't know what you're on about," I persist.

She gives me one more look and I can't help it - I break. This is so typical of Marnie and what she's capable of.

"Fine." I admit. "Harry and I aren't exactly on the greatest of terms."

"What happened?" she asks, looking really shocked. "I saw something online about this amazing secret date he organised for you. You wouldn't believe the amount of people from school asking me about you Harry. Do you realise how big this all is?"

"I don't know. It's all just a huge misunderstanding, but Harry isn't taking my calls."

"Details please."

I really don't want to get into it, because I've gone from the highest of highs, to now the lowest of lows since Harry is no longer speaking to me. I just wish that he woke me and we could have discuss the message, rather than he just leaving without any explanation.

"You know the guy I told you about - Max?" I start, and she nods so I continue. "Well the other day he came over and he ended up kissing me. Obviously without my consent."

"He what?" she yells, completely taken aback. "So Harry got upset when you told him? I would have thought Harry would have trusted you even more so for being so open."