Chapter 22

~~~~~~~~~~Sierra~~~~~~~~~~

Sierra awoke to the buzzing of her phone. It had been going off all morning. She pulled her blanket over her head and she wished there was a rule that said you didn’t have to wake up early or go to school on your birthday.

When her phone continued to vibrate to the point that she actually dreamed about picking up her phone, she finally decided to check her messages. She scanned the Happy Birthday texts until she stopped at one of Tristan’s messages.

I’m outside…

She hopped out of bed and pulled her curtains back. And there he was, reclining in his car in her driveway. She pulled the scarf off of her head, washed her face, brushed her teeth and combed her hair in record time. He sat up and got out of his car when he saw her open the door. He reached into the back and pulled out at least half a dozen colorful helium balloons.

“Happy Birthday,” he greeted her and handed her the balloons.

She pulled him inside and kissed him. “Thank you.”

“Is your dad here?”

“Nope. And he won’t be back for a couple days.”

“Good.”

He grabbed her into his arms and kissed her hard.

“What do you think about being a little late to school today?” Tristan asked while placing soft kisses on her neck and his hands pulled at her clothes.

“I’m down if you are.”

She giggled when Tristan picked her up and her balloons floated to the ceiling.

-------------

Sierra had over two dozen birthday balloons by the end of school, which was a new record for her. Granted most of them were from Tia. Her best friend refused to let her downplay her big day. Tia and Reggie had her looking like a walking carnival prize with all the balloons and stuffed animals they gave her, ensuring that she was the main attraction the entire day. Luckily, Tristan let her store most of it in his car so she didn’t have to carry it around the whole time.

After Tristan drove her home from school, he left briefly and came back with groceries. Apparently, he was going to make her dinner, which she thought was pretty cool. A guy had never cooked for her before. It turned out Tristan knew his way around a kitchen. In hindsight, she probably shouldn’t have gorged herself with his seafood basil pasta, but it was really good.

When Sierra couldn't take another bite, Tristan told her not to move and went into the kitchen to clean up. He returned moments later holding an over-sized cupcake with rainbow frosting and a single candle lit on top.

"Jillian made it,” he explained.

Tears sprung to her eyes and she wondered when she became such a crybaby. She definitely had a soft spot for Tristan’s baby sister.

“Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you…” Tristan sang as he brought the dessert closer and sat it down in front of her. “…happy birthday, Sierra. Happy birthday to you” he finished sweetly and then waited while she blew out the candle. “Did you make a wish?”

“I didn’t have to. I already have everything I could ever want.”

“Damn, you already have everything? Then I guess I'll just return part two of your birthday present,” he said as he dangled a gift bag in front of her.

"Nah uh. Hand it over," Sierra said with a grin and took the gift from him.

She pulled out all pastel packing paper and found a hard-covered spiral book. When she took it out, she realized it was a journal. On the front cover was a beautiful, smiling, brown-skinned mermaid.