Chapter 1 - Part 1

I was sitting in the college cafeteria eating a sandwich while paging through a book

I was sitting in the college cafeteria eating a sandwich while paging through a book. I finished the book and closed it. Checking my watch, I figured I still had a few minutes before Courtney would be meeting me so we could head together to our next class. I packed my book away and discarded the rest of my lunch in the bin nearby before sitting down again. Feeling tired, I rubbed my forehead as I surveyed the cafeteria. It was after lunchtime so it was fairly empty.

There were a few tables with some students grabbing a late lunch. My eyes drifted to the lone guy sitting and leaning back, openly watching me.

When my dark-brown eyes met his striking green ones, I felt a connection cross the distance between us like a shock of electricity vibrating through the cells in my body. Despite feeling a little unsettled by the immediate reaction to the way he looked at me, I refused to look away or show how much one look from him had affected me. I met his gaze with open interest. Most guys would look away, feeling intimidated, but this stranger didn't.

Instead he held my gaze. I didn't have a preference for looks when it came to the guys I got involved with; it was more a confidence, a way about them, that attracted me rather than them having blue or green eyes, or light or dark hair. I liked my guys strong enough to handle me.

I was honest enough to admit I knew I was high maintenance. It was probably why I was drawn to guys with a strong personality, because I needed someone to stand up to me. If I could walk all over the guy I tended to get bored quickly.

My body trembled slightly as I held his gaze and his smile deepened, showing off his sexy dimples. My stomach dipped at the open appreciation in the sweep of his eyes over me. He was gorgeous, and for a moment I was momentarily stunned at the physical reaction I felt with just a look from him in my direction.

He had brown hair with streaks of blond that reached just past his ears. But his most striking features were his eyes and dimples.

"Sarah." A familiar deep, annoying voice pulled me away from the sexy stranger.

"Ryan," I greeted stiffly, turning to the person who had interrupted me, leaving only a hint of friendliness.

His brown eyes were boring in comparison to the sexy stranger who had held my attention only moments before. Ryan smiled confidently. It only increased my irritation with him. I stiffly returned it, trying not to be blunt and rude but it was hard. It wasn't wise to encourage him with falseness. I had made it clear we were over. Most guys got the message and moved on swiftly with someone else—but not him. He was holding on to the hope we would get back together, but it wasn't going to happen. No matter how many times I told him, he still had trouble understanding. It had been a month already. How much longer would it take before he realized I was never going to get involved with him again?

"I didn't see you at the party on Saturday," he said, leaning forward with both hands on the table. He was used to girls falling at his feet. I was an anomaly. We'd hooked up for a couple of weeks before he'd become too needy, which had sent me running in the opposite direction. Ever since, he had been showing up all the time, trying to get me to go out with him again.