Chapter 3 - Part 2

"You're going to regret this in the morning," Matthew said softly beside me.

I gazed up at him. For a moment my annoyance with him was forgotten. He had the most beautiful eyes. They were hypnotic as he looked down at me. I was trying to figure out if it was the color that made them so pretty—or was it his long eyelashes that framed his eyes, bringing out their color?

"That's the fun part. At the moment I don't care." I was feeling reckless and it wasn't often I felt free to do what I liked when I wanted to.

Being brought up in a wealthy family, I had been taught to behave in a certain way. Having too much to drink would be frowned upon. In a way it was my way of rebelling against what I had been taught was acceptable and what was not.

My mom had been pretty lenient but my father was a stickler for rules. He would probably have a heart attack if he knew what I got up to. It was another reason I didn't want a bodyguard. My antics would surely be reported back to him and he would put a stop to it. Sleeping around like I did with guys would also be something that I would be lectured for. And it wasn't like I was irresponsible—I used protection and I got checked regularly to make sure I was clean.

"You have pretty eyes," I said to him. He smiled as he shook his head slightly. I reached up and touched his one dimple.

"I don't think you should drink anymore."

"Don't lecture me," I said, putting my body up against his. His smile waned and I saw the intensity of his eyes darken.

"I'm an adult and I can make my own decisions. Even if I regret them in the morning." Our eyes were locked together and for a moment it became harder to draw breath.

His lips were so close to mine. I wanted to kiss him but I hesitated. He was so unlike any other guy I had ever met and it scared me. Getting too close to this one would be dangerous.

"Do you want to kiss me?" I asked. I needed to feel like I was in control of what was happening between us.

In my mind if I at least got that confirmation, taking it further would come more naturally and I would be more sure of the end result.

There was a moment of silence.

"You know I do," he answered. His voice was hoarse as his gaze dropped to my lips.

It was the first time I had seen a vulnerability in him. He had given me exactly what I had needed. I felt like I was back in control.

"Good." I pulled away from him, taking him by surprise. I turned slightly away from him but I stayed close enough to feel him standing slightly beside me.

Mark and Courtney arrived with our drinks. Feeling happier, I took my drink and swayed to the music, content on watching everyone dance.

"I can't believe he is still hanging around," Courtney muttered from beside me.

"Who?" I asked, leaning closer to her.

"Ryan." And across the room, he was there, watching me.

"I think it's time to leave," Matthew suggested from beside me.

"But I'm having fun." My voice had come out as a slight whine.

"The fact he is still watching you means he isn't convinced that we're really together. He needs to see us leave together."

I frowned. His logic was sound. I put my glass down on a table nearby.

"I was going to get a taxi home," I said, trying to think through my alcohol-muddled mind.