Chapter 96

Lorelai had been kept in the hospital for three weeks before being released. Luke knew it was killing his wife to not get to see much of Lora so he arranged for Lorelai to be set up in a temporary downstairs room at Logan and Rory's. It made sense so that someone would always be with Lorelai. Emily had also been staying in Stars Hollow to be a help wherever she could.

After two weeks of being confined to a bed, though, the doctor told Lorelai she could resume her usual activities in moderation. Reaching thirty-six weeks was a great feat for the twins given the accident so in the event labor came on, it would no longer be stopped. This thrilled Lorelai. Not only could she lay in bed and snuggle her granddaughter, now she could be up and play the grandma card to spoil the sweet girl.

One afternoon, Rory and Lorelai were prepping to head into town to grab some groceries from Doose's. Lora, now five weeks old, was turning into quite the beauty. She was full of smiles and had begun recognizing numerous people who frequently visited.

As Rory held the door of Doose's open for Lorelai, Lora began to cry. Rory shifted her attention to her daughter, who was in a stroller. Doing so caused a small collision with a patron who had been making her way to the exit. After bumping into the woman, Rory turned to apologize. The apology, however, died on her lips. Lorelai looked up and quickly understood why.

"Lindsey." That was the only word it appeared Rory could force out.

A tight smile formed on Lindsey's lips. "Hi." She seemed to be frozen in place as well.

Hoping to ease the tension, Lorelai quipped, "Sorry about that. She was trying to maneuver around my whale-like stomach."

The comment pulled both women from their trances, causing both to shift uncomfortably.

"So how have you been?" Rory asked.

Lindsey looked up hesitantly. Deciding there was no harm in answering, she began to speak. "Good. I moved away to go to college after the divorce. I am back in town visiting my grandparents."

Rory attempted something of a smile. "That's good. I bet they're happy to see you." She picked up Lora's pacifier, which had been launched onto the floor. "Look, I never apologized to you. I never should have gone after Dean. Regardless if the two of you were having problems, it wasn't my place to accelerate them to the point of no return. I am very sorry."

Sadness filled Lindsey's gaze. "Thanks but no apology will undo the damage. Dean and I may have had a chance at staying together but that possibility was off the table after the affair." She shrugged her shoulders. "Let's both just agree that it's in the past. I don't care to think about my failed marriage any more than you do, I'm sure."

Rory nodded. "That's the truth. But the fact is I needed to apologize, whether or not you needed me to."

"I appreciate it but it wasn't necessary. If I recall, the two of you didn't stay together long anyway."

"You're right; we didn't. Starting a relationship via an affair wasn't exactly screaming long term."

"I'm guessing that you've moved on just fine, though, judging by the stroller you're pushing."

A bright smile filled Rory's face. "Yes, I did. The guy who helped pick up the pieces after Dean and I broke up the final time turned into something more. We are getting married on Christmas Eve and welcomed our little girl a little over a month ago."

Lindsey smiled but her gaze remained on Lora. "She is beautiful."

Rory's eyebrows furrowed together slightly. "What about you?"

The question pulled Lindsey back to Rory. "I—I met someone else and we have been together for five years."

"Did you meet in college?" Lorelai asked, having remained quite after trying to break the ice.

"Um, not exactly. While I was visiting a cousin in Maine, I met a guy who happened to be from Ellington, Connecticut. We hit it off and stayed in touch for several months, occasionally meeting up for dinner or shopping. After about six months, he formally asked me on a date. We've been together ever since."

Rory smiled. "That's great, Lindsey. Really. I always wondered whether you were able to move on and find happiness."

Lindsey nodded. "I did."

At that moment, the door to Doose's opened. Rory looked over but her smile quickly faded as she saw who had entered.

Lindsey took a step toward the new arrival, placing an arm around his back. "Rory, I believe you may know my boyfriend."

Rory nodded. "Marty."

*****

Natalie sat at her desk, concentrating on a file given to her by her supervising attorney on a new case. She was working on a formal discovery request, asking the opposition for evidence supporting the lawsuit that was recently filed.

As she looked over the suit's complaint, Natalie thought that the case was going to be interesting. She was solely focused on work when her cell phone began to ring. The number wasn't familiar to her. Looking around, she answered the call.

Natalie wasn't prepared for the question the call would bring. It was a child services case worker who asked whether she and Jess would be willing to take a three year old girl who may be placed outside of her biological home.

Without even thinking, Natalie answered with an enthusiastic, "Yes!"

The light chuckle on the other end of the phone brought Natalie back down a little, making her realize that while she may be happy with the thought of having a little girl in her home, it meant there was something unsatisfactory about the child's natural home.

Natalie quickly apologized. "I am sorry; I know removing a child isn't a good thing. I'm just excited to be a mother to a child in need."

The woman dismissed Natalie's comment. "Do not apologize. We need homes who want the kids for the right reasons. You'd be surprised at how often people look at the money that comes with the kids as motivation rather than hoping to make a difference."

"That is terrible. The money doesn't matter to us. It's the child who we are excited about."

"That's how it should be."

After ending the call, Natalie leaned back in her chair as her mind flew to the things she and Jess would need to get for the little girl. Spying the time, she judged that she would have two hours of work left. Knowing she would get nothing done, Natalie called her boss who fervently told her to head home.

Natalie dialed Jess' office number to let him know what had transpired. As Natalie walked out the door, she found that she couldn't stop smiling.