Chapter Four

I love this banner so much! Thank you meghan_billis_ for making this (:

If you would like to send your banners in for a special mention, my email is open!!

Word Count:

~Alaya

"This is the best night of my life!" Sky chants, throwing herself wildly around the dance floor, knocking into people with no care in the world. Her grip doesn't loosen, even as she dodges people, her ability to correct herself is miraculous.

She's lost her mind, but for tonight, I don't mind.

The music remained slow, however, Sky found some way to really get into her dance. I followed after, unable to wipe the smile off my face as I watch her. It took me a few moments to brush off the stares we were getting from anyone else before I truly let go and let myself join her.

For a blissful moment, I forgot about the audition tomorrow, my downhill life, and even the invitation I had hidden in my bra.

The party down here may be the mainstream compared to what may be going upstairs, but compared to the daily grind I'm used to, I must say, this a lot of fun. I even let Sky pulls me close to dance with me like we are sisters from a few centuries ago. A few people mumble their irritation the deeper into the crowd we get, however, Sky's ability to brush it off is infectious.

Sky suddenly brings us to a halt, which is a relief considering my spinning head from the dance. She snatches two glasses of wine from a waiter who has been walking around. I take an extra look at him, wondering if I should ask where Carter is.

I haven't told him I got invited to this party.

"Drink," Sky prompts, nudging the stem into my hand, stealing my attention from the waiter. I stare down at the crystal clear water. Wine isn't supposed to look like this, which leads me to assume it is some kind of alcohol only the rich are used to drinking.

Bringing the edge of the glass up to my nose, I realise it smells sweet, like mixed berries.

"Drink Lay," Sky repeats, tapping the edge of the thin glass until I lift it to my lips. It tastes as sweet as it smells, the liquid satiny soft as it slides easily down my throat. I can definitely tell this would be easy to get drunk off of, since immediately I feel as I want another glass, even though the bitter edge to it

Sky takes my empty glass and places it on a waiter's tray as it breezes past. When she turns back to me, her eyes seem a little more absent and distracted as her gaze sweeps over the crowd behind me.

"I think I'm going to find some more people to dance with," Sky say distractedly. "You go explore or something. You never know what you could find around here."

At her words, a man in a dark suit whisked her away.

I stood in the middle of the crowd, feeling returning back to my fingertips as I realise my sister has completely abandoned me. In less than a second, all the lavishly dressed people seemed converge around her, stealing her from my view.

Pushing my way past a few people, I'm aware I probably won't find her again. She is doing this on purpose, I know it. This is her sick way getting me to socialise with strangers. Why is she so invested in my love life? The fact that she is married means she's bored, which leaves her to play with my fate more than the man himself.

"Excuse me," I murmur, pushing through a crowd of three men discussing something trivial in the middle of the floor. "People dance here."

I decided that I wasn't going to be exploring anything further than the first floor. Being kicked out in front of everyone out there might just be the most mortifying thing in my life, and would most likely ruin my audition tomorrow. So I decide to make my way toward the food table in hopes that maybe I will find Carter. Without Sky.