Smile

(Before we start I want to give a shout out to QueenOfHearts416 for all the wonderful support you have given on this book and I'm so happy your enjoying it! So without further ado lets get to the real writing)

Erebus P.O.V

The nurse quietly walked into the room and laid the tray beside me on the bed with a quiet "good morning alpha" which I replied to with a just a nod before she left the room. Although I wanted to wait for Layla to wake up before eating my stomach was not willing to wait so I ate quietly as she slept peacefully on the recliner while every now and then shifting from side to side. It surprised me that the food tasted as good as it did with it being cooked at a hospital and all, usually the food at hospitals wasn't all that great. Soon enough I finished my morning meal and set the tray on the nightstand before turning over to look at my sleeping mate who was still burrowed into the recliner making her look ridiculously tiny.

My wolf was nearly whimpering, silently begging our mate to wake up but I kept him under control knowing all too well that patience was important right now. Instead of waiting more I decided to mind link Blake about the disagreement between him and my mate

Blake, what happened with you and Layla exactly?

It took him a few minutes to reply

Well hello to you too Alpha. Yes we had a little quarrel

I want the specifics, I said blankly

Okay, so I went to the hospital because everyone in camp was wondering where Layla was and she'd been in that room for a few days. When I went I simply asked for her to go outside and she refused to go. When I told her that you would have wanted her to go out of the room she got pissed at me.

I paused, I was her mate she had the right to stay by my side and who was he to speak for me?

You have no right to tell her that, you don't speak for me, and she's my mate she had all the right to stay beside me.

Yes, but don't you think she should've at least left the room once while you were out?

I don't make decisions for her if she wanted to stay here let her stay.

Alright fine.

I stopped talking to him then and looked over to Layla who seemed to be gradually waking up as she shifted in the chair. And Jesus Christ if I wasn't giving my all to not just grab her right at that moment. Her hands went up to rub the sleep out of her eyes as she sat up in the chair before looking up at me, for a split second she just stared as if I was still asleep, then her eyes lit up. A little squeak echoed from her as she hopped off the chair and jumped onto the bed, she flopped down on my chest making our noses brush slightly. I laughed and wrapped my arms around her before kissing her, she didn't hesitate to kiss me back. After a few moments, her hands tightened on my neck, when she did that it was practically a signal that she needed to breathe. I loosened slightly just enough for her to lean away and breath, after she caught her breath a brilliant smile went to her lips as she looked back up at me.

"How long have you been awake? Has the doctor come in yet? Have you eaten?"

There she goes worrying about me, she worries about everything except herself.

"Only half an hour or so, yes the doctor came in and yes I've eaten sweetheart" my voice was calm and content

"Good, how are your shoulder and leg?" She glanced at my shoulder as she questioned me

"Nearly healed" I replied trying to keep the conversation simple

"Oh great. Ahh, but why didn't you wake me up?" She frowned at me pitifully

"I wasn't going to wake you up, you need to sleep"

"Oh please, I had 4 days to sit here and sleep" she joked but there was an edge to it

We both laid on the bed as Layla cuddled against my chest and watched TV, the show we were watching was awful but she seemed fascinated by it. The doc had come in and done another check up on my wounds then told us we could leave after they got all the paperwork together. Layla had instantly started talking about going home and what we would do, not to mention all the things she'd cook for me. It bothered me that she thought it was her duty to help me when I was nearly healed. I let it be though for now not wanting to cause any issues at the moment from just waking up. Hopefully, everything had stayed well in the pack while I had been unconscious, I'm sure Blake was more than happy to take charge during my absence. He was completely full of himself after becoming Beta, but he did his job well and took it seriously which is what the pack needed.

Doctor Nyett walked back in with a small stack of papers in his hand, he handed them to me as Layla sat up in the bed quickly, obviously trying to look as respectable as possible.

"Here's the paperwork, just a couple of signatures from you and then your good to leave Alpha," he said simply

I nodded before taking the papers and scanning over them, Layla looked over my shoulder curiously at them as I signed each one. Her eyes stayed glued to the stack as I handed them back to Nyett, he took them before flipping through them and smiling at us.

"Thank you Alpha, you're free to leave"

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Layla smile widely before starting to climb off the bed. Doctor Nyett left the room as she nearly skipped to my side of the bed and looking at me. I couldn't help but chuckle at her as I gradually moved my stiff legs to get off the bed, the pain was very light and hardly noticeable as I stood up and stretched to soothe my aching muscles. Layla watched me carefully, making sure that I wasn't going to suddenly fall or wince in pain. We both headed out of the room and down to the lobby, the pack members looked up and some smiled while others bowed their heads in respect. Layla smiled as well as the ones who were looking at her while continuing to walk by my side, I opened the door for her and walked out of the hospital. It was bright and sunny as the sunlight shined down onto the both of us, Layla paused to put her face up to the sun. We both seemed to relax as we walked to the house across the large camp clearing.

The house was still the same, everything was in its natural place where it belonged. Layla headed to the kitchen and made herself a glass of water as I went over to lounge on the couch, I knew I had work to do but it didn't sound appealing whatsoever. I turned on the TV to watch one of those murder mysteries as Layla walked around the kitchen trying to organize anything that may be out of place. Naturally, I would have told her to come to lay on the soft cushions with me but now instead I just let her be since we had just come home I'd let her have this time to do as she please even if it was something I didn't agree on.

Soon after Layla walked into the living room and sat down beside me, I wrapped an arm around her waist to bring her against my side as we watched some movie that was now on. It didn't really matter if there were some unsettled discussions between us at the time, all that mattered was that she was alright and so was I. She'd probably never know how much it had killed me to stay away from her that long, with her being worried over whether or not I'd actually be okay. But it was perfectly fine that way.

Vote and comment please!