t w e n t y t w o

Aspen's POV:
I saw him leaning up against the side of the barn, his back to me. His cocky posture made me want to run straight up to him and punch him in the face. But I had to hit low blows, nothing to draw to much attention right now. His time would come.

I kept myself from stomping up to him, but once I reached him I sent him a death glare. "I know what you did."

He turned to me, looking like a deer in headlights. "I have no idea what you're talking about."

"Oh quit with the bull Shane. I know you left Otis behind on purpose. You sacrificed him for your own good. He stuck his neck out for you and you cut it off!" I continued to glare at him as his innocent expression melted into anger. "So, how'd it happen? Did you push him into a herd of walkers? Or better yet, did you just shoot him yourself? Oh yeah, that's it! You shot him in the side so he would bleed out and you could get away!" I knew I was pushing him, but I was so pissed off at that point I couldn't care less.

"I bet you pictured Rick's face as you watched him die, because you did watch him die, didn't you? I know-"

Smack! I stumbled back as my face lit up. I reached my hand to my face and could feel where Shane had hit me. I looked up into his eyes, but saw no signs of remorse. They were just filled with anger. He stepped closer to me and I had to force myself not to step backwards.

"Do not talk to me like that ever again." He glared at me, staring me down. "Or next time, the retaliation will be much worse." He continued to glare at me, running into my shoulder as he walked past.

I sighed. I knew I made a mistake, and I knew he would be true to his word. I turned around and saw the group standing around in a circle. I figured it was for Otis. I walked up to them and stood next to Tyler. Daryl was across the circle and I was able to ignore him until I glanced up once and the glare he gave me was almost unbearable.

I zoned out during the funeral. I had barely said a couple words to that man and I didn't really feel any connection. I was upset about Daryl and pissed at Shane. I had enough emotions swirling around my brain than worrying about someone I barely knew. I knew it was selfish, but you had to be sometimes in this world. You couldn't go around getting attached to everyone you meet.

Every family member went up and said something sweet about Otis. I tuned them out, but at least stayed around until they finished. After the ceremony wrapped up, everyone lingered around for a while.

"Rick, after your son is healed, I want your group gone." Hershel stated.

"Excuse me?" Rick looked like the rug had been pulled out from under him.

"You heard me. I will heal your son, but as soon as he is healthy enough to be on the road, I want you gone." And with that, he walked off to the house.

We all stood there, stunned. Hershel basically said that he was going to kick us out once Carl was healthy. Rick took off after Hershel, not giving up. I saw Maggie walking away from the house to the barn and I followed her.

"Is it true that your dad is going to kick us out?" I asked.

She turned around. "Oh, hi Aspen. Well," she sighed. "You never know with Dad. He sometimes says things and doesn't mean them, but other times he's completely serious. I think if Rick really persuaded him, Dad could come around." She began to put a saddle on a horse.

"Where are you going?"

"I need to go on a run to pick up a few things." She looked around, making sure she has everything.

"All by yourself?" I know Maggie is tough, but it's dangerous to go out by yourself, no matter who you were.

"Well, no. I'm bringing Glenn with me." She smiled a little bit. And as if he heard us, the devil himself walked in.

"Hey Aspen, wasn't expecting you here." Glenn said, with a small blush on his cheeks.

"I was just leaving." I said, walking out, giving Glenn a wink as I walked past. "Don't get to crazy out there." I said, just loud enough for Maggie to hear.

I walked out of the barn and see Daryl talking to Carol. At first I thought nothing of it, but then I saw him hand her a flower. I felt my cheeks immediately flush red with anger. He's giving her a flower?! I guess I didn't realize how close the two were. How stupid was I not to notice it before? I shook my head and walked into the house up to the room where I woke up.

I sat down on the bed and laid back against the pillows. I sighed and stared at the ceiling, thoughts of Daryl, Shane, and Thomas swirling in my head. I didn't realize how tired I was until I felt my eyes drooping. I shut them and fell into a deep sleep.

—————

When I woke up it was darker outside. I could hear people moving around downstairs, so I slowly got up and opened the door. Carol, Patricia, and a young blonde girl were making dinner. I steered clear of them because if I talked to Carol I might end up just screaming at her.

I walked outside and saw Thomas sitting in a rocking chair. I walked over and sat in one beside him. The sun was just starting to set and there was a light breeze. There were very few beautiful days left, and this was one of them. I sighed contently, and leaned back in the rocking chair.

"What's the matter?" Thomas asked.

"Oh, nothing's wrong, I'm just so happy right now." I smiled. "It's such a nice day."

"Oh I know, but that's not the only reason I'm happy." He responded, looking at me slyly out of the corner of his eye.

"What other reason is there?" I asked, wanting him to say it was me, but knowing that it wouldn't be.

"Well, you know, I am sitting here with you." He smiled, blushing slightly.

I stared at him, my mouth slightly open. He did say I was the reason! I found myself leaning in before I knew what I was doing. I leaned over the armrest on the chair, as he moved towards me. Are we going to kiss?! Is this it?! Is this the moment I've been waiting for?! Just as we almost were to each other, I felt myself falling forward. Before I could stop myself, the chair fell over and I pulled Thomas down with me.

The chair hit the deck with a loud bang and my horror only increased when I realized Thomas was practically laying on top of me. He was just a couple inches away from me, and I started to blush intensely as he began to close the gap.

Daryl's POV:
I spun my head around as I heard a humongous bang come from the porch. As I looked over I saw two people on top of each other laying besides a tipped over chair.

As I looked closer, I saw that in fact it was Aspen and her Prince Charming. They looked to be having some fun. I couldn't drag my eyes away as he dropped his lips to hers. All I could think about was how we kissed at the CDC. I watched as she didn't move away, she just deepened the kiss. Finally I decided this might soon become a strip show if I didn't do something.

I stormed to the house and straight up the porch steps. I stormed past them, making sure to stop as heavily as I could.

Aspen shot straight up, away from Charming, but I didn't want to hear it. I just kept storming all the way to the back of the house, and out of the back door. If she wants to fall for his charms, fine by me.

After all, I am just a stupid redneck.