Chapter 7

I'm not sure how long I sat there, in the small cramped space of the subway control car, rocking back and forth, trembling, and thinking about what Dox had in store for me and Archer, but my imagination was running wild the longer we sat there.

What if he decided to slit our throats like his sick friend had done to that poor old man? Or what if he decided to throw us off the subway train while it was moving so that our bodies splattered against the tracks? Or what if he threw us in front of the subway train? Oh God... What if-

My horrible scattered thoughts were cut short when the subway lurched and rumbled against the tracks. I frowned and glanced at Archer.

"We're slowing down." He said.

Archer and I stood up at the same time and peered out the front window to see that the train car was stopping in front of an old abandoned waiting platform.

A sinking feeling crept its way into my stomach. Why were we stopping here?

The sound of the door sliding open behind us made me tear my gaze from the window and onto to Dox who was standing in the doorway, his flesh colored mask and gaping black eye holes staring at me.

A shiver ran down my spine.

He waved the gun in front of him.

"Let's go."

Archer took a step forward so that he was standing in front of me, which seemed to be his automatic position whenever Dox was around now, and stared evenly at Dox.

"Where are we going?" He asked.

I wasn't sure because of the mask, but I could practically hear the smile in Dox's voice.

"We're going on a little...field trip. Now let's go. I'm not asking again."

Slowly Archer took a step forward and I followed close behind, not wanting to be left alone with this man. We passed through the doorway and Dox brought up the rear.

As we made our way through the subway cars I noticed that they were now all empty. I wanted to ask where everybody was but I was afraid of the answer I might get. So, I kept my mouth shut this time and kept moving.

As we walked I ended up stepping in something wet, my shoes making a squelching sound as they made contact and slipped, almost falling flat on my butt. I looked down to see what I had stepped in and saw that it was blood.

My stomach was in knots instantly.

It was in the same spot where the old man had his throat slit.

It was his blood.

There were smear marks that led in the other direction. Obviously someone had dragged his body somewhere else. I vaguely wondered where and thought about his granddaughter and if she was okay.

When we came to the last train car which was also empty, Dox pushed us toward the exit doors which were already open.

We stepped out onto the old platform and my earlier question was instantly answered. All the people who had occupied the subway cars were now on the platform, all on their knees with their hands tied behind their backs with zip ties, set up in a line.

Dox's other companions walked back and forth in front of them, each of them brandishing some type of weapon and each wearing a different mask, the oddest of the bunch being a sheep. It would have been funny in any other circumstance but right now, seeing some strange, weapon wielding psycho wearing a sheep mask just about scared me shitless.

Dox urged us on and nodded to one of his "friends", this one wearing a Jason Vorhees hockey mask, who held two zip ties in his hand.

Jason Mask stepped forward and grabbed my arm roughly and spun me around so my back was facing him before pulling my hands behind my back and tying them with the zip ties. The same was done to Archer, who gritted his teeth as the zip tie was pulled tightly against his skin.

Once Jason Mask was sure we weren't going anywhere, he pushed us forward at the end of the line of subway passengers, where we got down on our knees and joined them.

"Now that you're all here the real fun can begin!" Dox began with a clap. "I'm sure you're all wondering why you're here, why this is happening to you, and all that other bullshit." He laughed to himself. "You all have two choices now. You can either live or you can die today. It's completely your choice. If you do what we say you'll live...maybe. If you don't... well you'll find out soon enough because I'm sure some of you here are stupid enough to try us." Dox's masked faced turned in Archer's direction as he said this.

A whimper and a sniffle came from my right and I glanced down the line of people and my eyes landed on the same little girl from before. The little girl whose grandpa had been murdered right in front of her.

She was crying and her small frame was shaking, whether it was from the sobbing or fear, maybe both, I didn't know but what I did know was that I couldn't let anything happen to her.

I made myself a silent promise right then and there. No matter what happened from here on out I'd make sure that she got out of here alive even if I didn't. Then without warning my eyes traveled to my left where Archer sat, glaring at Dox. He had promised me that we would both get out of this alive too but that didn't look like it was going to happen. To be honest I don't know why I even made him make that promise. Dealing with these people, I knew our chances of survival were slim.

So, as I sat there listening to the little girl sniffle and watching Archer stare daggers at Dox, there were two promises that I made myself. To make sure that little girl got out of here in one piece and if I didn't make it, to make sure that I gave them one hell of a fight.