πέντε

Paris and Hector along with their men were given tents while she was offered a room by Helen in the palace which she kindly declined. As much as she would love to be sleeping on a bed, she felt more comfortable and safe sharing a tent with her brothers.

"It is a pleasure to have you three here in my dining area" King Menelaus started as they sat in his dining area. A lazy smile was displayed on his face as he looked at Selene before turning to the other Trojans who cheered.

Selene awkwardly cleared her throat as she looked away. She was starting to feel uncomfortable with how the King looked at her. She listened to the Spartans and Trojans who cheered as she drank her wine. If only she knew that King Menelaus was this malicious, she would've just stayed home.

"Princess Selene. I've been longing to ask you this if it isn't much of a bother, isn't it tiring to wear a white gown?" King Menelaus asked in the middle of their meal making the woman choke on her food. Helen quickly tapped Menelaus' hand before shooting Princess an apologetic look.

"E-excuse me?" Selene asked, a bit offended by the question. She knew that many people wondered why she hasn't settled yet but to hear it like so casually like it was a normal question surely offended her.

"My King, I don't think it is appropriate to ask a woman such question." Helen scolded lowly making Menelaus turn to her with a scowl on his face, "Speak only when you are spoken to."

"Why are you still a virgin?" Menelaus asked straightforwardly, still not dropping the question. Selene's eyes widened at his straightforwardness and immediately grabbed Hector's and Paris' hands before they could even do something that would harm Troy.

"With all due respect, King Menelaus, if you think that being a virgin is a bother then I don't think you know how valuable purity is until marriage." Selene said confidently, even if her voice was slightly shaking, she held her head high. She didn't want to let him or her people see that such question affects her.

Even if she wanted to beat the hell out of this man, she couldn't, he was the King for Troy's sake. "Of course! What an honorable answer." He replied back, chuckling before taking a sip from his cup. Selene took a deep breath and squeezed her brothers' hands before turning to her meal.

Thankfully, a man from Sparta started talking about the agreement between Sparta and Troy but Selene couldn't help but glance at her brothers who still looked offended. She knew that it not only offended her but it offended Troy as well.

The females of Troy, until they were still unmarried, would have to devote themselves to the country. Either by making it flourish or by protecting it. This was a way to honor Athena. A virgin goddess who continued to protect Troy throughout the years and asking such a question so carelessly was a low blow and insult for the Trojans.

"I'm fine, just let it go." Selene whispered both the men who were still not touching their food. As she raised her head, she saw that their men were also alarmed now and were looking at her carefully. They also looked offended by what the King has said so with a reassuring smile, she gave them a smile before continuing her meal, hoping that it would end fast.

As they finished their meal, the Trojans and Spartans started mingling. Selene secluded herself as much as she could. She didn't want any men throwing themselves at her feet. Glancing around, from the corner of her eye, she saw Paris glancing at Helen every now and then.

"Paris. Please don't do something that would break the peace between Troy and Sparta. Please don't do something that would disappoint brother and Father" Selene said, carefully watching him as he gave her a sly smile and kissed her forehead.

"I love Troy. I won't do something that would harm it" He said, reassuring the older sibling with a small smile. Selene sighed and nodded at him before watching him walk towards their tent.

Selene just hoped that what Paris has just said was true. He's still a young Prince and Helen is just a temptation. A temptation that would bring his people down. Selene wasn't the type to pray to the gods but at that moment, when she uttered a prayer, she trusted them to keep Paris away from what can harm him in the future.