forty-two

"On top of this ending tune
I'm standing alone
Now tell me
That it's over, let me know"

————————

A day just passed by after I've last seen Taehyung.

I have to admit that I'm still having a hard time coping up with everything. Yesterday, I couldn't do anything at all and just think of him all day. My mom was getting worried about me, but I assured her that I was fine so she wouldn't have to worry anymore.

I know she was already busy with work, and I don't want to be a burden to her anymore. As much as I want to talk to anyone about the pain I've been feeling right now, I have no choice but to endure it to myself.

By the time I got back to the house after my morning jog, I saw Jin's pick-up truck parked at the front gate of the house. It's been a while since the last time I saw his truck. I thought then still jogged on my way into the driveway and the veranda before I finally entered the house.

I was pretty sure even my eyelids were sweating as I spoke, "I'm home." I removed the earphones from my ears and scanned around the living room, but there weren't here at all.

"We're here, baby." I heard my mom's voice from the kitchen. Wiping away beads of sweat from my forehead using my sleeve, I walked towards the kitchen. "Your friends are here," She announced once I got in the kitchen and my eyes landed on Jin and Namjoon who were both sitting next to each other by the kitchen counter.

"Hey, guys." I greeted them and walked towards the counter and sat across
them. Mom prepared cups of hot chocolate and biscuits for them, while she gave me a fresh glass of apple juice instead. I want hot chocolate too. "It's been a while since the last time I saw you two. What bring you guys here?" I asked, taking a sip of my juice.

I waited for them to speak, but Namjoon only glanced at my mom first then to Jin as if he wanted to say something. I have no idea what he meant by that, but I think it was something serious so I asked my mom to give us some privacy for a while. Showing off her bubbly self, she excused herself out of the kitchen. Then after she was gone, I turned to look at these two good-looking men in front of me. "We have to tell you something, Areum." Namjoon began with such seriousness in his face that I almost felt my heart throb in nervousness.

"Okay, what is it then?"

Jin glanced at the boy next to him. Seriously. They are killing me. "Don't be surprise, okay?" Jin said calmly, gulping. By the looks on their faces, I already knew it was something bad. The nervousness in my heart started increasing while I waited for him to say more. He reached for his bag and pulled something out. Surprisingly, a familiar notepad was on Jin's hand and he handed it over to me. Puzzled, I looked at him oddly and retrieved it from his hand. I opened the notepad and all the sticky notes I gave to Taehyung during classes were all on the first page. Furrowing my brows, I wondered why all the notes were there. I flipped on the second page to see words written like: I'm sorry I couldn't write anything more here. "That notepad and this puppy here," He said, gesturing on the floor. I looked at the floor where Jin was pointing and saw a puppy on a small cage. A beagle puppy. I told him I've always wanted a beagle puppy. I didn't notice the cage a while ago when I entered, so I was in awe and hurriedly got up from my seat and crouched to free the puppy.

As I excitedly freed the puppy, I interrupted Jin's sentence. "Oh my god, is this from Taehyung?" I asked him, caressing the puppy's head. The puppy has a black leash with a gold dog tag on it. Taeng. That name was written on his dog tag. "Hi, Taeng!" I said joyfully after reading its name before carrying it in my arms and returning back to my seat. "I'm sorry. You were saying, Jin?" I asked as my eyes were still glued on the puppy.