Chapter Thirty Nine

Chloe's P.O.V

At first Elvis was so angry. I mean, who wouldn't be? Jennifer was killed to save me.

Tomorrow is Mia's birthday and we've been all busy planning for it.  Mia seems happy herself. 

Lately Jennifer's parents have been coming around more often and anytime I see them, my heart skips a beat.

"They are nice people. Just don't worry. We are keeping this to our grave. I hate to say this, but we are her accomplices now,"

Eunice always try to look and sound strong but no she isn't...not in this case.

"They look beautiful together."

"Yes they do. Dad is quiet not the smiling type but he's cool."

"I can see that," I said and we both laugh.

"This is the first time in a long time I've seen you laugh," Daniel said with a serious tone.

"You scared us. Haven't you heard about knocking?"

"Eunice please. Your friend here has been avoiding me. And when we are finally together, she seems so distant. Please ask her if I did something wrong or if I said something to offend her," he said as if I were not around.

"Or did I not do something? Did I not say something? I'm going nuts here. Chloe please talk to me. Please."

I look away and he commands me to look at him.

"If you have stopped loving me, tell me. If you can't love me anymore tell me. I'm only human, I will understand," he said. Tears form in his eyes. Eunice looks at both of us. She's almost in tears.

I burst into tears. And he sees it as a yes to whatever he is thinking right now. He nods and walks away.

"Go after him, Chloe. Please."

"I can't. I can't. I can't."

"Please!!!"

I nod at her and quickly walk out...in search of him.

I find him outside. He sees me and looks elsewhere.

"You don't need to tell me anything. I get it. Don't worry about me. What was I thinking?"

I quickly wrap my arms around him and inhale his manly scent. I sigh when he tries to move away.

What do I say to convince him that I still love him and him only?

"I love you," I said and he freezes in my arms.

He sighs and I smile at him. He looks into my eyes as if he were searching for answers from them.

"I know I have been off lately but that doesn't mean I have stopped loving you. Who can stop loving you?"

We both laugh over it.

"I miss you," he said while kissing me.

"I miss you more."

"I want to know what is bothering you. We can't move on in this relationship if you don't trust me. If you don't tell me what is bothering you. I don't need a happy Chloe. I need all of you. Tell me, what is wrong."

Should I lie? Or should I tell him?

"I will tell you later. Please don't force me to tell you. Please."

"Eunice knows but I can't? Does Elvis know?"

I'm saved by the door which opens to show an angry Elvis.

"The rest of us are working our butts out so you two will come here and play, isn't it?"

Daniel chuckles and I smile at them. I know Elvis came here because Eunice told her about what happened.

                                   ***

I watch as Eunice massages her temple. Why are we even stressing ourselves if she probably wouldn't remember a thing?

"You are tired," I said.

"Yeah, I am. And I feel like any moment from now, I'll be exploding. How are things with him now?"

"Better, I guess. He still insists I tell him. I would have to come up with a story and trust me, I don't know what to tell him."

"Yes, we will think of something. I don't know."

"Yes. My conscience wouldn't let me sleep. Because how do I tell him I'm the reason why they killed his wife?"

"What did you just say?" Daniel comes in with a frown all over his face.

Eunice and I stare back at him.

"What did I hear you say? Don't even think about lying because I have been behind the door listening...you two were talking about me. Tell me!!!! Who killed my wife and how did that save you?!!!"

Eunice runs her hand over my shoulders and I know I have to let him know. So I did. I told him. For a moment I thought he was going to kill me.

"So they killed my Jennifer just to save you? And God, I can't believe i ...I was with someone who..."

"Was?"

"What do you think? I can't believe this. So you guys hid this from me?"

"No Elvis doesn't know," Eunice quickly said.

Daniel sits down. He looks so broken...it breaks my heart. He looks away from me.

"Leave me alone. Go away. Stay away from me."

I try to touch him.

"Don't even think about touching me. Go away before I do something stupid," he looks calm but I know what he's going through. I can feel his hurt. He's suffering because of me and he wouldn't even let me near him.

"Please don't push me away. I'm sorry."

"Sorry? You think sorry will bring my wife back? I hate you so much."

His statement hits my heart and i begin to feel so much pain. It's too much for me to bare.

Eunice pulls me along with her.

I can't believe we are breaking up. What do I do now?

                    ***

Thanks for reading and voting.