89: Deep Kiss

As soon as Imhe's strength failed, Lea panicked.

In an instant, she searched for an existence akin to a soul, and when she found it slowly drifting along with the burst of essences, her immediate reaction was to grab hold of it. And in the next moment, she couldn't see anything.

She could not feel any of her senses, neither the essences that were always within her since she learnt of them. There was only nothingness.

•  •  •

Victor was crouching on the ground as he anxiously stared at Lea's unresponsive body. He could feel his heart starting to ram hard in his chest. What was going on?

One moment, Imhe was back to normal. The next, she was gone. Even the remnants of her body disappeared with the gust of the wind. Then Lea was gonna collapse onto the ground if he had not made it in time.

Thus, holding her body, Victor remained placid as he couldn't fathom the situation. He tried reading the essences in the air, but it was normal.

Gently, he stood up with Lea's unconscious body in his arms. He didn't know what to do, but he felt Lea's essences leaving her body voluntarily. He knew that if she couldn't limit the withdrawal, she would not be able to sustain her core.

Victor then decided. As he looked on her flawless face, he stroked her cheek with his face and muttered softly, "I'll keep you safe, Lea."

Upon his words, he disappeared.

(A core can absorb the essences, but if the person uses up too many essences that his core can no longer keep up with, the core will start to crack— leakage will start until it will no longer be usable. On the other hand, if the core is forced to release a huge amount of essences than a person can handle, it would also crack and be destroyed in the process of the outburst.

•  •  •

In one of the residential buildings, Bright was inside a room. It was dark, smelly and creepy. But he could immediately make out silhouettes in the darkness.

"Hello?" He called, and numerous whispers grew in volume.

"Are you together with the demon???" Asked an anxious old man.

Bright shook his head in disagreement. "My friend is taking care of it. Why don't you guys escape now?"

"We won't abandon our country for a measly incident such as this!" One of them spat.

"But there is nothing here anymore...."

"This is where we were born, this is where we die."

Bewildered, Bright could only shrug, observing the room more carefully. His eyes were more comfortable with the darkness now. And then he noticed some children, very young to pre-teen.

He frowned his brows and couldn't help but utter aloud, "It's all cool if you stay, but those kids are still young! You have no right to seal their life for your own selfishness....!"

"You can ask them yourself and they would agree with me. Now shut up and mind your own business."

Then another one of them voiced out as well. "That's right. That's right. You freak. Cajoling with the demon. You must want us to die too!"

And at her words, a few others gave their assent by their boos and gestures. Bright was very displeased.

"Suit yourself, but I'll take this!" He exclaimed, grabbing a baby from a dirty mother. Then he sped away from the place. Oliver was simply watching and observing the whole time.