Chapter 54

"Fawn, wake up!"

Fawn opened her eyes to see a frightened-looking Monica standing over her.

"What is it?" she groaned.

"It's Vivienne. She's out of control."

Fawn sat up, noticing a vexed-looking Freya standing near her bedroom door.

"What do you mean?"

"I don't know what's gotten into her. She just stormed in here, took Auntie Jules' grimoire and left."

"Tell Fawn what else she did," Freya said acidly.

"She . . ." Monica began sobbing. "She attacked us. With magic."

"What?" Fawn said incredulously.

"She speaks the truth," Freya said. "Vivienne is a rogue witch."

Monica quickly whipped around to face Freya.

"It's too early to call her that!" she bellowed.

"Monica -- she attacked us. Witches don't attack each other."

"We've all made mistakes, Freya!"

"You don't turn the grimoire against other witches, Monica!"

"Okay, she made a very big mistake. But my cousin is not a rogue witch!"

Fawn stepped out of bed.

"I'll go find Vivienne," she said.

"I'll come with you," Monica said. "Ashleigh is already out looking for her."

"I'll wait here for Jules or Farrah," Freya said. "They have to know about this."

Monica let out an exasperrated sigh.

"Freya, please!"

"What do you want me to do, Monica? I can't trust Vivienne anymore. They have to know about what she did to us. I'm sorry."

"Just give us today," Fawn said, pulling her dreadlocks into a ponytail.

Freya gave Fawn a surprised glare.

"Please," Fawn added. "Maybe . . . we can help Vivienne come to her senses. Help her realize that what she's doing is wrong."

Freya shook her head and marched out of Fawn's bedroom without another word.

"Come on," Fawn said to Monica. "Let's hurry."

* * *

Benjamin and Lainey sat on the sofa after moving it back in place.

"Who have you been running from for so long?" she asked quietly.

He hesitated. Just thinking about the monster that Ulysses Morrison was in the past was enough to make him shiver.

"His name is Ulysses Morrison," Benjamin said. "The first undead man in the world. He's also known as the Undead Lord to many dead walkers and witches, and leader of the Immortal Order."

Several emotions, from concern to confusion, colored Lainey's face.

"First undead man in the world? Wait a minute—he's a member of the Primitive Family? Ursula spoke of them."

"He was Ursula's husband. And father to Isabella and her three brothers. He was the head of the Primitive Family."

"You said he's the leader of the Immortal Order. Wh-What is that?"

"The Immortal Order is a legion of Ulysses' most loyal followers—their goal, undead supremacy," Benjamin said. "They torture and kill humans and witches to 'purify' the world, or, to turn them. Increase their ranks."

Lainey grimaced.

"Wh-Why is someone like that after you?"

Benjamin shrugged.

"I can't say. I lived with the Primitive Family for a time before running away. Maybe that had something to do with it."

Lainey's eyes stretched.

"You lived with the first dead walkers?"

"It was Isabella's idea," Benjamin said. "After my folks died, I was placed in an orphanage. Isabella asked her folks to take me in. Said she felt sorry for me."

"Wow . . . that was really nice of her," Lainey said.

"It was a nice gesture," Benjamin agreed. "If only Isabella and her family weren't so . . ."

"Crazy?"

"Maniacal. They've done things to people that I won't soon forget. . . . And they . . . made me partake."

A sharp gasped escaped Lainey's lips. Benjamin couldn't even bring himself to look at her.

Lest he be reminded of what he is.

To his great surprise, she placed her hand over his.

"I'm so sorry, Benjamin," she whispered. "I'm sure it was torture for you as well."

"It was much worse . . ." He finally looked at Lainey. "The Immortal Order has another goal. And that is to hunt me down. Their top priority is to deliver me to Ulysses . . . so that he could kill me."

Lainey expelled a shaky breath, blinking furiously.

"Benjamin, I . . ." She trailed off. Clearly at a loss for words.

"And . . . that's the reason I've been on the run for the better half of my life," Benjamin said. "It's why I lead a life of seclusion. . . . Why nobody's safe around me."

Lainey inched closer to Benjamin.

"You've managed to evade the Immortal Order all these years?"

"Miraculously," Benjamin said. "Only an eternity of evasion left to go. That is if I don't just surrender first."

"No!" Lainey exclaimed. "Don't surrender. I mean . . . you've managed to avoid them this long, right?"

He forced a smile.

"That's because I was always on the move." He stared at Lainey's hand over his. "I don't want to run anymore."

"Then don't," Lainey said, leaning her shoulder against his. "You've already been here for a few months, right? Maybe the Immortal Order has finally given up." She giggled. "That, or they're all talk."

Benjamin appreciated Lainey's optimism, even if it was only wishful thinking.

"I don't plan on surrendering," he quietly said. "Sancova is my home. My family is buried here." He looked at Lainey. "I feel good here. Better than I have in a really long time."

"Then that settles it," Lainey whispered. She narrowed her eyes and stared at her hand over his.

"I-I just remembered I should go," Benjamin said, jumping from the sofa and rushing to the front door. "Thanks again for saving me."

"Right," Lainey breathed. "See you around . . . I guess."

He nodded and exited the house.

Once outside Lainey's home, Benjamin could swear for half a second, his hand was stung by the freezing February wind.

He hadn't felt the weather since he died over sixty years ago.