First Impressions

Over the course of the next two years, under the tutelage and protection of Gandalf and Lord Elrond of Rivendell (whom she was often left in the care of during the wizard's longer and more perilous journeys), Hannah learned much about the world of Arda and the history and cultures of the many races who inhabited it. However, not only was she no closer to finding a way home, but a dark Shadow was growing in fair Middle-earth; and it was spreading steadily at a rate that greatly troubled her Istar guardian.

Gandalf had grown very troubled and anxious of late, for upon investigating the Necromancer in Dol Guldur he had discovered the villain's true identity was in fact Sauron. He knew the Dark Lord had arisen again and would soon declare himself, and he knew that he was preparing for another great war. But how would he begin? Would he try first to re-occupy Mordor, or would he first attack the chief strongholds of his enemies? Gandalf suspected his plan was to attack Lórien and Rivendell as soon as he was strong enough. The state of things in the North was very bad. The Kingdom under the Mountain and the strong Men of Dale were no more. To resist any force that Sauron might send to regain the northern passes in the mountains and the old lands of Angmar there were only the Dwarves of the Iron Hills, and behind them lay a desolation and a Dragon named Smaug. The Dragon Sauron might use with terrible effect.

Of course none of this was ever told directly to Hannah who, having only just turned fourteen-years-old, was still viewed by the ancient beings around her as a child to be protected. But Hannah was more perceptive than most, and she was able to piece the puzzle together for herself using bits and pieces of information she had garnered from certain conversations she happened to overhear, and Gandalf's mumbled musings while lost in thought. In fact, it was one of these instances that became the cause of Hannah finally being drawn into his conspiracy one evening.

"I must find some means of dealing with Smaug. But a direct stroke against Dol Guldur is needed still more. We must disturb Sauron's plans. I must make the Council see that," the Wizard muttered to himself as he smoked his pipe by the fire in the Hall of Fire. So deep in thought was he that he had forgotten Hannah was also there, studying a scroll by the firelight, until she spoke.

"Yes, I don't understand why Saruman is being so stiff-necked about all of this," she said, startling him back to awareness. "Knowing how dangerous this Sauron is and what he's capable of, weakened or not, wouldn't it be better to stop him now before he's able to regain his former strength? My Grandfather (on my mother's side) used to say the best defense was a good offense."

"In this case I would have to agree with him," said Gandalf, looking at his clever young ward with renewed interest. "But the question is, how to go about it?"

"Well, we could try to force his hand before he's ready. That way he would have to reveal himself, and even Saruman would have to face the facts. I don't like war, but a it seems to me a small one would be preferable to a great one. If you put it off any longer, it sounds like it could turn into a terrible war involving the whole of this world. I don't want to see something like that happen, not again," she answered grimly, remembering all the pain and suffering in her world she had seen caused by the second Great War.

"We?" asked Gandalf. She had the right idea; in fact, he had already begun to take steps to do just that.

"Yes, we. I want to help," said Hannah determinedly. "I know you think I'm just a child, and I know I'm an outsider, but I've grown very fond of this world, and I'd hate to see it ruined."

"No, it's too dangerous," said Gandalf. For they had become as fond of her as she of them. "There's no need for you to risk your life."

"Mr. Gandalf, you're forgetting I came from a very troubled and war-torn world. No one was safe. You step outside, you risk your life. You stay at home, you risk your life. We didn't have a choice. I learned the only thing I could choose was what to risk it for. And if I can help save lives, that's reason enough for me. I don't want this world to end up like mine."