Chapter Thirty Five

---------------------

Dedication: Keliamp21 for being a supporter of all my stories! Thank you for your continuous voting and commenting. I really appreciate it. :)

Recap:

I swallowed uneasily. Hayden seemed unfazed as he stepped back, leaning against the locker door, folding his arms across his chest. His usual, tense self was back. The skin on his jaw was taunt as he clenched it.

My legs felt like lead as I walked out the doorway, my heart feeling heavy in my chest.

I was in serious trouble.

---------------------

Climbing out of the pool, I padded over the wet cement, my body dripping.

"Not your best, Connaway," Ashton sneers haughtily, making my eyes narrow into thin slits as I glare at him, my vision glowing red. If he isn't careful, I am going to drag him into the pool and hold his stupidly handsome head under the water.

Of course I wasn't swimming my best. He "had a word" to Hayden and now Hayden is nowhere to be seen. Great. It wasn't Mia I should have been afraid of, it was Ashton.

Goosebumps scattered across my skin as I hug my arms to myself.

"To be on this team, you need to be performing your best at all times," he snaps, his eyes trained on me. "No matter what is going on in your life, when you're swimming, it's a top priority. Have I made myself clear?"

I glower down at the ground, shivering from the harsh cold, my teeth gritted.

"Connaway?"

"For fuck sake," I yell, throwing my hands up. "Leave me alone, would you?"

I stomp past him, ignoring the shocked stares of my teammates. I storm into the locker room and towel off, shaking angrily.

"My office, now," Ashton barks as he walks into the locker room.

"No."

"Connaway, I will pull you from this team," he warns.

My main concern right now is Hayden.

I dress and ignore the stares and whispers from everyone as I exit, going in the opposite direction of Coach Brennon's office. I hurry out to the car park, half-hoping to see his black ute. I scramble to get my phone, dialling his number. Straight to voice message.

"Fuck," I hiss, trying again.

Running an agitated hand through my wet-drenched hair, I feel an ache throb in my forehead. I sped-walked home, slamming the front door behind me with far too much aggression. I toss my bag onto the kitchen floor, before leaning over the kitchen sink, slowing down my breathing.

Ashton can't toy with me about Hayden. My emotions are far too strong.

After calming myself down, a tiny bit, I ring Harvey.

"Hello?" he chirps.

"Hang with me tonight," I demand. "Please."

"I have a date night with Caitlyn. Raincheck?"

I scrunch my face up in anger, before smoothing it out.

"Yeah, you can raincheck with her. I'll hold."

He chuckles, the sound only making me more annoyed. "I love you but I have to hang with my girl tonight. Tomorrow?"

I blow out a breath in frustration. "Fine."