- 59 -

Five hours.

It’s been five hours of waiting. Five hours of sitting here in this goddamn room with that horrible image of her in my mind. How am I to stay sane with that picture intruding my thoughts? 

“Sir,” says the nurse, appearing in the doorway I had previously bolted through. “You may see her now.”

I shot up and followed her through the corridors of the hospital. She led me to a room. It was different from the one she was previously in. That’s when I saw Nicole lying there on the bed.

I rushed to her side. She opened her eyes and smiled weakly at me.

***Nicole’s Point of View***

When Harry walked in my heart skipped a beat.

“Hey,” I say. “I’m surprised you’re still here. It’s been hours.”

“I wouldn’t leave.”

My smile grows, but it fades in seconds when I remember why I’m even here in the first place. “Where’s Melissa?”

“She’s okay. The police talked to her and set up a court trial. We’re gonna get her a good lawyer, and there’s a high chance she’ll be declared innocent. Your father was highly intoxicated, harboring a runaway, and Melissa’s case is being looked at as self-defense,” he explains.

“That’s great news.” And it really was. Usually no one even listens to our side of the story. They believe the adult and that’s that.

“How are you feeling?” he asks, clearly worried. The concern was written all over his face.

“Shitty,” I admit. He smiles and takes my hand. “I’ll be fine though. Just a broken rib and a bump on the head.”

“A bump on the head?” he asks, peeking at the blood soaked bandage wrapped around my temple. I shrug.

“I’ll be fine,” I repeat. “I promise.”

He didn’t look like he believed me. In fact, as I looked closer, I noticed what a mess he really was.

“Are you alright?” I ask him, my eyebrows knitting together.

“Yeah, yeah. You don’t need to worry about me. You’re all that matters right now,” he assures, shooting me another off smile.

“Harry,” I state sternly, looking over his features. “You’ve been crying.”

“Yeah,” he admits, almost hesitantly. “I have.”

He ran a hand through his already disheveled curls, and I felt a pang of guilt. This was because of me?